You are here

Acoustic Guitar for £500-600?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Acoustic Guitar for £500-600?

Postby Chromeman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi all, looking for acoustic guitar recommendations for around £5-600. 21st present for one of my kids who's a good player and will go and try stuff out with him but a few pointers would be good. He's into lots of picking with a jazz feel. Just plays for fun. Cheers.
Chromeman
Regular

Re: Acoustic Guitar for £500-600?

Postby Wonks » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:26 pm

Straight acoustic or an electro-acoustic? With or without a cutaway?

Faith and Sigma are two good quality brands that spring to mind, Both makes have ranges that go lower and higher than your budget, but have very decent models at that price point.

Some acoustics may come with gig bags, but you are unlikely to get a hard case at that price these days, so you may need to budget for that as well.

But really, with acoustics its best to simply try them out and buy the one you try and like. A good manufacturer name will always sell-on better than an unknown name, but you may get more of a bargain with a less well-known brand.

How jazzy is he? Does he want a guitar to play jazz on and make traditional jazz noises, or just one that he can use for many things, but maybe think about fitting a set of flatwounds on it (if only occasionally) if he wants to go that bit more jazzy? So I suppose jazzy acoustic archtop, Gypsy Jazz Selmer style, or a mainstream steel-string syle?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Jack Ruston » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:28 pm

There's a lot out there. It's a question of him playing twenty or thirty guitars, quickly narrowing it down to three, and picking his favourite.

In terms of brands, I recently found a Sigma J45 that was as good as a Gibson...a little bit more than your budget at around 899, but they do cheaper variants. Another fantastic brand is Sire. Go somewhere with a lot of stock and try as many as you possibly can. You can rule out 95% of them in five seconds, and then focus on the good ones.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Random Guitarist » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:29 pm

Some of the the PRS SE range would match your price points. I hadn't thought of PRS as an acoustic guitar maker, but I tried some (and bought one) recently.

What sold it to me was the combination of playability and sound. They apparently use a classical style bracing which give better soundboard vibration than the traditional bracing. YMMV but the one I found sounds wonderful, responsive and loud.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby CS70 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Gotta try many as Jack says. It’s part of the fun.

+1 for modern Sigma, I’ve tried three or four and they have been invariably so good that I couldn’t believe the (low) price.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby John Egan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:52 pm

Chromeman wrote:Hi all, looking for acoustic guitar recommendations for around £5-600. 21st present for one of my kids who's a good player and will go and try stuff out with him but a few pointers would be good. He's into lots of picking with a jazz feel. Just plays for fun. Cheers.

If he is set on a new guitar, then it might be worth looking at the various Godin brands (Art et Lutheries, Simon and Patrick, etc) and if he fancies a jazzy F-hole archtop, the Kingpin is a very capable instrument.
In the past, I have managed to pick up a few good second hand instruments from Japanese brands such as Suzuki, Yamaha, Tama and Ibanez.
Encourage him to try a wide variety and take his time. There are gems around if you look hard enough.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Stratman57 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:06 pm

I can recommend Takamine acoustics, I got one for my 60th, acoustic/electric with a cutaway. Great sound both acoustic and amplified. It was around the £600 mark.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:There's a lot out there. It's a question of him playing twenty or thirty guitars, quickly narrowing it down to three, and picking his favourite.
+1 This...

Let him play loads of guitars in your budget and let him pick the one he connects with. It’s the only way to do it right. And there is a good chance that he will end up with a guitar for life.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Stratman57 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:15 pm

That's very true about a guitar for life, although when I first started playing there wasn't the chance to play loads of guitars to find the right one, being as I'm left handed. However I found one in one of the music shops in Nottingham, a left handed Eko acoustic with a bolt on neck, which I still have today. It still plays quite well, and is pretty loud.

That was one of the reasons for getting the Takamine for my 60th, because it sounded great, and would last me a long time. Maybe even outlast me. :-)

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby arkieboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:40 am

My son bought a Naked Faith Venus in Mahogany last year from Andertons which was in the specified price range. We tried half a dozen others in the same range, very impressed with the guitar - would happily gig it.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Chromeman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:49 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yes we are taking a trip to Andertons next week to try out as many as possible. Should be fun. Cheers.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby Ramirez » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:52 am

I got a Yamaha LL16M for around that price, and its very nice.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Chromeman wrote:Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yes we are taking a trip to Andertons next week to try out as many as possible. Should be fun. Cheers.
If you are doing that by car, then it's also worth the short journey along the A31 to Guitar Village in Farnham. They also have a decent range of acoustic guitars in that price range and it's normally far less busy than Andertons.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby arkieboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:42 pm

arkieboy wrote:We tried half a dozen others in the same range

same price range that should read
arkieboy
Regular

Postby SecretSam » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:17 pm

It's about fifty to a hundred quid below your budget, but I really like my Tanglewood TWJFE.

It's made in Java, has beautiful veneer work on the back, and a solid cedar top that sounds (and smells) great.

Not a ringy, folky sound. Rather darker, which suits jazz in my opinion.

Nowhere near as good as a high-end Martin, but nowhere near as expensive.

See the review in Acoustic magazine, which seems pretty accurate to me.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Chromeman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Wonks wrote:If you are doing that by car, then it's also worth the short journey along the A31 to Guitar Village in Farnham. They also have a decent range of acoustic guitars in that price range and it's normally far less busy than Andertons.

We ended up buying a Fender Paramount from Guitar Village in Farnham. Great shop, lots of choice and a quiet environment. Thanks for the tip Wonks.
Chromeman
Regular