You are here

Boss SY-1 pedal

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Boss SY-1 pedal

Postby Stratman57 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:32 pm

I thought of putting this in the petty gripes thread.

Having watched all the YT videos about this pedal I was sold, then, it seems you can't get them anywhere. Then, I see that PMTonline have them in stock, so, I order one, before 3:00pm, thus getting free next Day delivery. Cue next day, no email from DPD regarding delivery time. I phone PMT, and they say, no we don't have any available, but I say, you've already charged my card. Cue refund.

Then I thought I should put the following in the petty pleasures thread.

The pedal finally shows up on Amazon. Available from 19th September, being as all the usual outlets were saying on back order until sometime in October, I ordered one.

Imagine my surprise when I get an email from Amazon saying my order has shipped, delivery date, today!

It's here, unfortunately, I won't get to try it out until tomorrow. However, Woohoo.

Regards, a very excited Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Re: Boss SY-1 pedal

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 pm

:thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup:
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 am

I've been looking at this and the Synth9. Be interesting to see how you get on with it. It looks like it'll be a lot of fun. Funnily enough I've just had a text from DPD to say my Boss JS-10 from Andertons will be delivered in the next hour. It's already been christened Billy No-Band!
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Guitars are like partners. You know within 10 seconds of picking one up whether or not it's a keeper. 

Postby Stratman57 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:09 am

Well, just spent an afternoon playing with the SY-1, stepping through the 121 sounds. All I can say is Wow. OK, initially, some of the selections sound quite similar, but a tweak of the tone/rate and depth knobs gives a whole host of other sounds.

Most of the sounds are very usable, although some of the SFX ones I couldn't see an immediate use for.

But what it gives me is a way to access the synthy type sounds from my guitar that I could only get from my XIO synth, which not being a keyboard player meant that I was limited by my lack of dexterity on the keys.

These are the sounds I wanted to get when I bought my Roland GR50 guitar synth but could never get.

So initial impressions, a brilliant bit of kit.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:24 am

I’ve been resisting the temptation to try the SY-1 for ages. You are tempting me :headbang:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 am

Same here!! Been salivating on one since I read the SOS review, and the only reason I haven't got one yet is that I'm pretty sure I would not really use it for any actual production, and I'd rather prioritize new useful mics than a new toy...

But damn! :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Stratman57 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:30 am

Are you guys thinking about the Boss SY-300 pedal?

The SY-1 was shown at Summer NAMM this year, so only just becoming available, hence the first bit of my initial post.

The SY-1 takes the SY-300 technology and sticks it into a standard BOSS single pedal format.

https://www.boss.info/uk/products/sy-1

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:14 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Yes, thank you, I was!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Hey, thanks for bringing the SY-1 to my attention - this one had completely passed me by & looks like a good candidate for what I want!

I'm after a simple way of producing a synth/string pad behind acoustic guitar. I already have electric guitar with GK kit and a GR33 which works fine - except I don't want to carry loads of stuff around, & I DO want to drive it from an (electro) acoustic, but don't want to fit a GK or any other hardware to either of the acoustic guitars I would use.

I also have a Neunaber Immerse pedal which produces some amazing sounds & gets close to what I'm after, but I don't find it so easy to control in a live situation.

So thanks again for pointing out the SY-1 - I'll have a play when I can get hold of one.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Why did I have to click on that link? ;)

It looks very cool and simple which is what I want when the inspiration hits. I’m curious if it really is zero latency as claimed. I can usually notice when playing patches that have sharp attacks. Have you noticed any latency?
I’d use it for recording so being mono out might be a concern although I’m sure it would sound great through stereo effects.

It’s on my list to check it out the next time I visit the local music shop!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:12 pm

It is zero latency because the attack portion of the sound comes directly from the guitar pickup. It's the same tech that the pioneered with the V-Guitar system.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:50 pm

As Sam said. There is no sample triggering, it is all modified versions of the guitar input waveform, so no real latency, certainly nothing like on a MIDI pickup guitar system. There is some very slight hidden latency because unlike on a GK pickup to V-guitar system, where each string can be treated separately by the controller, the SY system has to split a single input signal up into its polyphonic components before treating them.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:00 pm

And if you want a stereo output, then the more expensive/tweakable SY-300 is available. But even so, the stereo aspect is created by the effects modules, so nothing you can't do with external stereo effects pedals if you want with the SY-1. The SY-300 has no pan or spread controls for the synth engine.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Rich Hanson » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:07 pm

It's not showing up on Amazon at all for me, so at least that might give the GAS time to subside :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Stratman57 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:30 pm

Yes, zero latency. I've been playing it with the guitar sound turned off and I can't hear any lag at all, unless it's on a pad the fades in. Beats my GK2/GR50 hands down.

I've also tried it with my nylon strung piezo equipped classical guitar and it works just as well with that.

I haven't yet tried it with a bass yet.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:47 pm

CS70 wrote:Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Yes, thank you, I was!
That makes two of us :oops:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra