You are here

CITES Appendix II Rosewood listing change for instruments.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

CITES Appendix II Rosewood listing change for instruments.

Postby Wonks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:01 am

At the end of August 2019, CITES ratified a change to the listing of appendix II rosewoods (and the associated rosewood family woods like bubbinga), allowing for CITES permit-free import and export of musical instruments containing rosewood. The change comes into effect place 90 days after ratification, so should be on or about 26th Nov 2019. This delay is a standard one allows all the various customs organisations to inform and educate their staff, and any national legislative requirements to be made.

It was recognised that musical instruments are a very small part of the rosewood trade (2% IIRC) and that the requirement for CITES permits for cross-customs area transport has cost the musical instrument industry millions, and also threatened the confiscation of professional performers valuable instruments, whilst having a negligible effect on rosewood stock depletion.

The CITES appendix I rosewoods (such as Brazilian rosewood) still remain fully protected.

So importing/exporting guitars etc. will become a lot easier for everyone, especially for single instruments or neck parts.

Whether manufacturers like Fender will switch back to rosewood is anyone's guess. They may prefer to still use more sustainable woods; at least on the mainstream ranges.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: CITES Appendix II Rosewood listing change for instruments.

Postby arkieboy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Wonks wrote:Whether manufacturers like Fender will switch back to rosewood is anyone's guess. They may prefer to still use more sustainable woods; at least on the mainstream ranges

Provides a nice differentiation between those mainstream ranges and the custom shop offerings after all ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:42 pm

The pau ferro that I've seen on Fenders is generally a lot smoother than the rosewood they were using.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks Wonks!
I can now put a certain guitar back on my "must have when a higher paying gig happens" list. :thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)