You are here

Boss DD7 noise issues?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Boss DD7 noise issues?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 am

I'm buying a DD7 to replace my EHX 16 Second, it's less confusing to use, and smaller.
However, I have read that the DD7 is quite noisy, which I find difficult to believe, so maybe someone can shead some light on this.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: Boss DD7 noise issues?

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:43 pm

OK, I'll try a different tack! How about "any alternatives to the DD7 because I'm scared of noise" type answers, must have at least 5 secs delay, and be a straight delay, not a looper.

:?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:02 pm

I don't have a DD7 but I doubt if there are serious noise issues with it. You'll be feeding it a signal from an active synth output, not a passive guitar, and the synth's output will be a lot stronger than a guitar signal (so be careful not to send too hot a signal to it), so the s/n ratio should be as good as it can be.

It's obviously got unbalanced connections, so there's always the risk of ground loops and digital noise (not always realised by non-techy guitarists) I'd use it with a dedicated PSU or a multi-output PSU with isolated outputs if it's not the only pedal in use.

And of course use decent quality cables. I bet a lot of reported noise issues are to do with using cheap cables.

Buy it from the web, then if it is noisy, just send it back.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:08 pm

Wonks wrote:I don't have a DD7 but I doubt if there are serious noise issues with it. You'll be feeding it a signal from an active synth output, not a passive guitar, and the synth's output will be a lot stronger than a guitar signal (so be careful not to send too hot a signal to it), so the s/n ratio should be as good as it can be.

It's obviously got unbalanced connections, so there's always the risk of ground loops and digital noise (not always realised by non-techy guitarists) I'd use it with a dedicated PSU or a multi-output PSU with isolated outputs if it's not the only pedal in use.

And of course use decent quality cables. I bet a lot of reported noise issues are to do with using cheap cables.

Buy it from the web, then if it is noisy, just send it back.

Thanks Wonks, I know what you mean about obvious mistakes, that a lot of people make, just wanted to check.
I'm just about to nip out to Guitar Guitar in Camden, I'll take it back if it seems noisy.
It seems like the only straightforward delay that has the time I want, at a reasonable price.
I was thinking about the Strymon Time Line, but it's too fancy, and the long delay times have added things you can't get rid of. Plus, it's a lot more money.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:15 pm

I'm sure it will be OK. Just make sure you let them know what you want to use it for and agree that if you do find it too noisy then you will return it. Shop purchases are different to remote purchases in terms of buyer's rights.

Fingers crossed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:42 pm

I don't know about GuitarGuitar but PMT have a no quibble 28 day return policy. I'd have thought this was getting pretty universal now as high street shops try to compete with the internet.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:32 pm

GuitarGuitar have a 14 day online returns policy (well, they have to) but no mention on the website of a similar store returns policy. So best to check - though if Arpy went there today, its a bit late now if he bought one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Wonks wrote:GuitarGuitar have a 14 day online returns policy (well, they have to) but no mention on the website of a similar store returns policy. So best to check - though if Arpy went there today, its a bit late now if he bought one.

I bought one, in the shop, and it''s more than fine. No obvious noise issues.
The long delay is what I wanted it for, and it seems boringly fine.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Great! :thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:08 am

Arpangel wrote: and it seems boringly fine.

Boss pedals are the epitome of 'boringly fine' they almost always do what they say on the tin without fuss. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:46 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
Arpangel wrote: and it seems boringly fine.

Boss pedals are the epitome of 'boringly fine' they almost always do what they say on the tin without fuss. :thumbup:

Yeah, it's good, for me, better than my EHX 16, the EHX is a bit confusing, every time I use it I can't remember the slightly cryptic settings you have to use for certain things, the Boss is simplicity itself.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby paul tha other » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:16 pm

i find boss pedals almost do what i want..they never get me there though..boring is the word id use for the dd7 and most other boss pedals

although, i have spent years trying to find the perfect delay pedal....the line 6 hx effects has got me close
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:30 pm

paul tha other wrote:i find boss pedals almost do what i want..they never get me there though..boring is the word id use for the dd7 and most other boss pedals

although, i have spent years trying to find the perfect delay pedal....the line 6 hx effects has got me close

Well, no problems so far, I did my first recording with the DD7 this morning, and it just did what I wanted it to do, very long delays, easy to set-up, great quality.
My EHX 16 had a bit more depth and mojo, but it's no good if it doesn't do what I want to do, I need an unobtrusive easy to use delay, and the Boss is just that. I never worked out how to use that EHX, it was sheer guess work every time I used it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster