You are here

Unused guitar

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Unused guitar

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:33 pm

Folderol wrote:This might sound a silly question, but what should you do when leaving a guitar unused for long periods?

It's a silly question in that the real answer is don't leave guitars unused for long periods. You need to demonstrate your love for them by playing them every day. If you have more than one then play them all (otherwise they get jealous).
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:49 pm

Take no notice of this man. These tactics may work well with other guitars but the Squier telecaster famously thrives on neglect and welcomes abuse. Frankly I don't think mine will shed any tears when I die. If it even notices.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Funkyflash5 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:55 am

Having been the first person to play a 67 jazz bass after 50 years in it's case under a bed, the one suggestion I would have is to maybe throw a couple of those "Do Not Eat" silica gel packets in the case with it to keep things dry, as after 50 years the strings were a bit rusty and the strap had mildewed something fierce. Otherwise it was just a quick tune up and good to go.
Funkyflash5
Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:47 am

There's a limit to how much moisture silica gel can absorb. Once it's soaked up all it can, then it may as well not be there. You can dry it out in an oven and it will work again quite happily, but the reality is that a small bag will stop working in average room conditions within 15 days. A larger bag will last longer, but even then, not a lot longer.

Within a guitar case, the process is a bit slower but unless it's hermetically sealed (which would involve it having to be very strong indeed to withstand both positive and negative differences on air pressure), the very act of absorbing moisture will slightly lower the air pressure inside the case and draw a bit of external air in. Draughts and small temperature differences will also create a small air change rate within the case, bringing in new air with a higher moisture content, which the silica gel would absorb until it can absorb no more.

I doubt that even if the case was packed with silica gel that it would work for much longer than a year in typical UK room conditions, less in more humid conditions.

The truth is that very few products are packed with enough silica gel to protect them fully from moisture during the shipping from say China to the UK in the winter; it's generally a token gesture.

Yes, you can keep opening up the case and drying out the gel packets, but this isn't a leave and forget strategy. You are better off storing your guitars in a reasonably well temperature regulated space.

Whether you also really need humidity control will depend on where in the world you are. Rarely required in the UK if you have central heating.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby SecretSam » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:19 am

I find silica gel quite tasty. Dunno why they make a fuss about eating it
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby SecretSam » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:27 am

I find silica gel quite tasty. Dunno why they make a fuss about eating it
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Wonks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:50 am

Please note that Silica Gel alone is not poisonous, but much of it is doped with a moisture indicator, such as cobalt (II) chloride (blue = dry, pink = wet), which is a carcinogen. The beads are also a choking hazard. So basically, never eat silica gel or you'll end up like SecretSam.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:07 pm

One of the known side effects being Double Posting Syndrome
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Folderol wrote:This might sound a silly question, but what should you do when leaving a guitar unused for long periods?

1) WTF is an "Unused Guitar" ???

2) I used a dictionary... apparently it's guitar that you don;'t play.
Simple, Pick it up and play it.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Folderol » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:04 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:

1) WTF is an "Unused Guitar" ???

2) I used a dictionary... apparently it's guitar that you don;'t play.
Simple, Pick it up and play it.
:bouncy: :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Previous