You are here

What if...

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

What if...

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:47 am

... you could physically swap from Seymour Duncan to Bare Knuckle (or indeed any other pick-ups you want), in the time it takes a note to die away on the guitar that's playing the note!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_fqLR0dRTw

This just blew me away.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Guitars are like partners. You know within 10 seconds of picking one up whether or not it's a keeper. 

Re: What if...

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:08 am

But surely that takes away one of the key excuses, er, i mean, reasons, for having multiple guitars?
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby arkieboy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:25 am

I actually found that really instructive. By the time he’d balanced the outputs there really wasn’t that much difference between the BKs and the SDs. There was definitely a tad more clarity in the BKs but was that £250 more clarity?

I have been considering replacing the Duncans in my red Eggle for BKs but I’m not sure I’m going to get that much value from the swap, I’m not unhappy with the sound. Maybe the Kents in the black Eggle would be a better choice to upgrade ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:45 am

I think there's another video just comparing the pickups. Wouldn't it be good if dealers had something similar set up for demo purposes.

Relish don't seem to have a UK distributor yet. Maybe that's why I wasn't aware of them. They do a version with touch sensitive sliders too. My induction hob has those which is great cos there's nothing physical to clean. Can't see why a guitar needs them though.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Guitars are like partners. You know within 10 seconds of picking one up whether or not it's a keeper. 

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:Relish don't seem to have a UK distributor yet. Maybe that's why I wasn't aware of them.

Sound Affects Premier in Ormskirk, Lancashire, have had a few in over the last year or so. Just appears to be the one in at the moment.

https://www.soundaffects.com/electric-guitars-c95/relish-m256
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:40 pm

arkieboy wrote:I have been considering replacing the Duncans in my red Eggle for BKs but I’m not sure I’m going to get that much value from the swap, I’m not unhappy with the sound.

Ditto, except that mine is cherry burst.

I recently brought my Eggle back in to service but I didn't think that the JDs matched up with the BK VHII in the bridge of the Strat that I had been gigging with. I was also thinking about replacing the three way rotary coil selector with a regular tone pot (maybe a pull / push for coil tap, although I seldom use the tapped positions).

The fact that my music pc has just thrown a wobbler, meaning that I'm about to pull the trigger on a new model from Scan, has probably swung it the way of sticking with the JDs and just fine tuning the eq.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:... you could physically swap from Seymour Duncan to Bare Knuckle (or indeed any other pick-ups you want), in the time it takes a note to die away on the guitar that's playing the note! This just blew me away.

Nicely engineered solution desperately in need of a real-world problem... :lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:57 pm

arkieboy wrote:I actually found that really instructive. By the time he’d balanced the outputs there really wasn’t that much difference between the BKs and the SDs. There was definitely a tad more clarity in the BKs but was that £250 more clarity?

I have been considering replacing the Duncans in my red Eggle for BKs but I’m not sure I’m going to get that much value from the swap, I’m not unhappy with the sound. Maybe the Kents in the black Eggle would be a better choice to upgrade ...

and my favourite pickup combo is ?

Kent Armstrong MBUK in bridge, Seymour P-rails (bridge version, reversed in orientation ) in neck, Dimarzio true velvet in middle position.

suspect I won't get an endorsement deal anytime soon.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Wonks » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:02 pm

Have you tried contacting Seymour DiArmstrong pickups?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:09 pm

and I can get 2 team J craft S series for the price.... including my preferred pickup combo....

thanks, But I'll do without Relish in my guitar burger
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby arkieboy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:Kent Armstrong MBUK in bridge ...

suspect I won't get an endorsement deal anytime soon.

But you might possibly get a KA bridge pup for free. Wonks is putting an unused JB on black Eggle. Not sure what kind of KA it is but its yours if you want it ...
arkieboy
Regular