You are here

Where does this wire go? American Strat has no sound

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Where does this wire go? American Strat has no sound

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:12 am

Wonks wrote:For that approx. model year, the switch should be a 3-way one. If not, and it's a 5-way, then it's almost certainly been replaced at some time. So if you do start getting a dodgy pot and/or switch, then for authenticity, the kit with the 3-way switch is the one to go for, though the 5-way switch one below it in the list will be more versatile, whilst still giving you the same basic sounds in positions 1, 3 and 5.

Of course those position 2 and 4 sounds can be obtained by putting the 3-way switch in those in-between positions and hoping the switch stays there.

The only two positions I use on the Strat is the #2 and #5 position as shown in this Fender diagram: https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-ta ... tor-switch

So that is the middle pickup combined with the bridge for position #2 and the neck pickup alone for position #5.

Those are THE Strat sounds!

Can you get that #2 with a three-way switch only? I don't think I have played a Strat with a 3-way switch.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:34 am

I have played one, and it's not that easy to get the switch to stay in that in-between position. Certainly not something you'd want to do half-way through a song.

I remembered incorrectly. I thought it was very early '80s, but It was around 1977 when Fender started fitting 5-way switches as standard to all Strats. Though as with most things Fender until recent times, it was a gradual change and they were still using up old switch stock alongside new 5-ways for quite a period. So there's no definite date where before you got a 3-way, and after a 5-way switch.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:51 am

Folderol wrote:
Wonks wrote:You get wires twisted together in guitar amps to help reduce noise pickup, no balanced signals there, so it's pretty standard practice.

With one exception, I've only ever seen that for heater wiring. This makes sense as they are generating a 50Hz field, and twisting them very tightly together will dramatically reduce this.

When I built my 18 Watt (ampmaker.com P1800 kit) the only twisted wires were heater supply and, IIRC, the final pair going from the output valves to the OP tranny.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:17 am

Wonks wrote:I have played one, and it's not that easy to get the switch to stay in that in-between position. Certainly not something you'd want to do half-way through a song.

I remembered incorrectly. I thought it was very early '80s, but It was around 1977 when Fender started fitting 5-way switches as standard to all Strats. Though as with most things Fender until recent times, it was a gradual change and they were still using up old switch stock alongside new 5-ways for quite a period. So there's no definite date where before you got a 3-way, and after a 5-way switch.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:21 am

Wonks wrote:I have played one, and it's not that easy to get the switch to stay in that in-between position. Certainly not something you'd want to do half-way through a song.

I am a 5-way guy!

Reminds me of Cincinnati Ohio Chili. I'll have:

1: Chili
2: spaghetti
3: cheese
4: onions
5: beans

Sooooo good!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Previous