You are here

Interesting live rig

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Interesting live rig

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:33 am

Played a gig with a new guitarist last weekend and he had an interesting approach. He had a 5w old Fender that he liked and used for recording. But it wasn't loud enough at gigs. So he dangled a mic (609) in front of it, fed the mic into another amp - which, despite looking like a deluxe (blonde cabinet) was actually a modified 200w, very clean keyboard amp which had a mic input and which had been rebuilt into the Fender-y cab along with it's driver(s). So he had the same tone, but louder.

Nice bit of lateral thinking I thought.

And boy was it loud. But with the bass stack standing as tall as me, it was never going to be a sensitive, artsy kind of night ... ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Interesting live rig

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 am

But why not just run the mic through FOH?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:11 am

Obviously likes the stage volume and being in control. I've got an '82 5W Fender Vibrochamp and even with new valves and a replacement WGS Alnico speaker that doesn't fart at volume like the original did, it's still pretty 'meh', quiet and uninteresting to me (without a ton of pedals in front of it). Give me a Princeton with reverb any time over a Champ.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:16 am

Possibly he does. This was a (music) pub so the PA was just for vocals. And I'm guessing he likes it with a bit more volume on stage.

I should have taken a closer look - I really like the idea. If you rebuild a good powered top into this kind of cabinet, you'd also have a 'thru' which could be used to pass to FOH for larger gigs. It's got me thinking anyway...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby BigRedX » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:57 am

I ditched my very expensive "traditional" bass guitar rig in favour of a Line6 Helix and an RCF 745 FRFR powered cab.

This was after a number of gigs where the bass guitar in the foldback was far louder than what I was hearing from my rig coupled with the fact that anything in the signal path after the input gain in my amp had zero impact on the FoH sound.

At least half the gig I play these days are supports to reasonably well known bands who still bring big conventional bass rigs to use on stage. I just place my RCF next their Ampeg Fridge. From the audience it looks as though I'm using a conventional rig, except my bass sounds far better.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:54 pm

Horses for courses, but the idea of bringing *two* big and cumbersome cabinets on stage... if I really must I have a couple of trusty 100W combos that can fill a theater, if not a studium. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby BigRedX » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:40 am

Big and powerful on-stage application is becoming an anachronism. For small venues you don't really need the power and for big ones everything goes through the PA and the musicians on-stage are all monitoring using in-ears.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan