You are here

Boss TU-2. Are both outputs, i.e. "Output" and "Bypass" buffered? Should I always use buffered outs?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Boss TU-2. Are both outputs, i.e. "Output" and "Bypass" buffered? Should I always use buffered outs?

Postby Rhys Llewellyn » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:19 am

I've had a look through the manual and couldn't ascertain this.

I recently purchased the PRS Supermodels plugin pack and it recommends going through a tuner before going in to my interface. Will this actually make a big difference? If so, which output do I need to use, or are they both buffered?

I have a Focusrite 2i2 Gen 2.

Finally, should I always be using a buffered output whenever I'm recording DI electric guitar? For example, using a different guitar amp plugin that makes no mention of buffered outputs? Does it matter if my pickups are passive/active?

Should I also be using the tuner inline to record DI bass too?

Thanks.
Rhys Llewellyn
Regular

Re: Boss TU-2. Are both outputs, i.e. "Output" and "Bypass" buffered? Should I always use buffered outs?

Postby Wonks » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 am

The method of using a buffered pedal before going into an interface standard line input is a reasonable solution to providing a high impedance input for a passive electric guitar or bass to see and so not 'load' the pickups.

But your Focusrite (and many other audio interfaces these days) has an instrument setting for the line input, which sets it to a high impedance mode, so you can plug an electric guitar or bass in without needing a buffered pedal or other preamp device in the circuit.

So just set the input to 'instrument' instead of 'line', plug in the guitar/bass and you'll be fine.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Boss TU-2. Are both outputs, i.e. "Output" and "Bypass" buffered? Should I always use buffered outs?

Postby Rhys Llewellyn » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Wonks wrote:The method of using a buffered pedal before going into an interface standard line input is a reasonable solution to providing a high impedance input for a passive electric guitar or bass to see and so not 'load' the pickups.

But your Focusrite (and many other audio interfaces these days) has an instrument setting for the line input, which sets it to a high impedance mode, so you can plug an electric guitar or bass in without needing a buffered pedal or other preamp device in the circuit.

So just set the input to 'instrument' instead of 'line', plug in the guitar/bass and you'll be fine.

Okay, thank you for the info!

Quite a poor show for Waves to not mention this in the manual! The wording makes it sound like it is manadatory regardless of interface or input.

Thanks again :)
Rhys Llewellyn
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:45 pm

I know. But it's only necessary for those interfaces with no 'Hi-Z' mode on the line inputs.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853