You are here

A watch-it on 5.8GHz wireless systems

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

A watch-it on 5.8GHz wireless systems

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:07 am

Whilst perusing Amazon for guitar-related items, I noticed that I was being proffered ads for 5.8GHz wireless guitar systems (other types of wireless systems are also available). These just seem to be simple frequency variations on 2.4GHz and 5GHz systems already available. e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEKATO-Wireles ... nts&sr=1-8

However, there is no warning in these ads that unlike 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands, that in the UK the 5.8GHz band isn't license free. It's lightly regulated by Ofcom, basically to keep track of what's where and hopefully avoid band overload in the future, but it still legally requires you to buy a license and register the device with Ofcom (all a fairly painless on-line procedure).

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-li ... ess-access

The band is really designed for fixed devices to communicate wirelessly, such as CCTV cameras, so is not really meant to be used for devices that can move geographically, though I doubt a single unit will break the system. But as such, whilst licenses are only £1 each (so it doesn't cost too much to register all the CCTV cameras in an office building), there is a minimum charge of £50, renewable annually (spellcheck suggested 'anally', which would be even more of a PITA).

So buying one of these devices isn't a cheap proposition, plus the fact that you'll be using it as a 'secondary' user, so may get disruption from the primary users of the band, using much more powerful transmitters. And if you don't get a license, you'll be breaking the law.

So, buyer beware.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: A watch-it on 5.8GHz wireless systems

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Useful heads up. :thumbup:

Also the whole annually / anally / PITA thing :lol:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...