You are here

Christmas pressie idea - a build your own ukulele.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Christmas pressie idea - a build your own ukulele.

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:43 pm

I've just bought one of these kits as a present for a good friend of mine, and I just thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else here in the UK was interested.

https://www.popupdesigns.co.uk/product- ... populeles/

It's a slot-together ukulele (with some glueing recommended), though it's not a standard Uke shape. It uses a Bond guitar style sawtooth-stepped neck, so no metal frets. Takes about 2-hours to put together, so you could be making beautiful music some time on Boxing Day (obviously after the hangover has worn off).

Just about everything you need is included in the kit. The kits are made to order, mine was made the day after ordering and dispatched that day. The kit maker, Andy, is a really nice chap and we had quite a nice email conversation, (started off just confirming colour preferences and did I want a name etched on the wood etc.) so I'm happy to give him a bit of promotion here.

And some of the profit on the kit goes towards a children's charity project in Guatemala, so you are also helping others (you can also donate a bit when ordering if you wish).

The website also has quite a few really nice laser-cut wood cards and ornaments, which you may also find interesting.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Christmas pressie idea - a build your own ukulele.

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:42 pm

What a lovely collection! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DGL. » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Looks like a great project to build, if only I actually played the Uke and was more a synthesizer player (however badly).

As an addition to this if you are more interested in guitars Thomann sell their own DIY electric guitar kits in various styles, plus bass versions as well. Something I keep meaning to get as it would be an interesting thing to build, well my assembling skills must be better than my actual playing skills :bouncy:
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:10 pm

I've already got several guitar kits (I've almost finished one after two years!). I get them from Pit Bull in Australia as they do a wide range of less obvious models (as well as the usual suspects).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853