You are here

My guitar cable is picking up radio stations: Solution?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: My guitar cable is picking up radio stations: Solution?

Postby brocktoon » Sat May 23, 2020 6:08 am

Platypus9 wrote:Discovery: When I turn the reverb knob to zero, the RFI nearly disappears, and the volume of the RFI is directly proportional to the reverb knob position... I thought the reverb tank was acting as an antenna, but unplugging the reverb tank had no effect on the RFI.

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, I'd love to know how. I have the exact same issue with the same amp!
brocktoon

Postby Platypus9 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm

Well, I didn't find a true solution. I put a Line 6 HX Effects unit in front, and magically the issue went away. Obviously there's still an issue, but I haven't been motivated to pay for a repair, since the symptom is masked. Maybe there's some issue with grounding or buffering that the HX Effect unit mitigates. Let me know if you discover anything on your end!
Platypus9
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 23, 2020 10:53 pm

In all likelihood, the Effects unit has a properly controlled bandwidth and is immune to RF interference, while it's output is of a sufficiently low impedance at RF interference to prevent the amp's input from picking up and amplifying anything nasty.

The Line 6 unit may also the improving the amplifier's grounding arrangements!

But as you say, the real problem is still there in the amp... but it is being circumvented by the FX unit.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby SecretSam » Tue May 26, 2020 7:36 am

Anyway, before you find a permanent fix, don't forget to sample it. When life gives you lemons ...
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Previous