You are here

Gary Moore guitar auction

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Gary Moore guitar auction

Postby Agharta » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Wonks wrote:They should be if the integrity of the auction house means anything. At least they should match typical used values from sites like Reverb as the lowest estimated value, and not try to indicate that you'll get both a bargain and a piece of Gary Moore's kit if you put in a bid at the top of the guide price.

I've never been to an auction but I'm well aware how often items that were owned by famous people often go for way above estimated prices.
If I was interested I would want to know about reserve pricing as that does have a real impact on whether potential bargains are available.
Are auction houses compelled to list reserve prices?
I agree though that low estimated prices might impact the auction house but they have no bearing on the buyer ultimately unless they are naive.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:00 pm

True, but you can waste quite a few peoples time if they go and view the items with an intent to buy at around the guide price, or spend time putting internet bids in, and then the item goes for 10x -20x the suggested price. The DG guitar auction showed that even the most mundane items belonging to a guitar hero can go for silly money.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:08 pm

To be fair to the auctioneers it's pretty much impossible to value those celebrity items.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Agharta » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Naive and uninformed people waste their time on many things.
An auction by definition has no upper limit so anything can happen.
We live in the time of Fake News and this auction house seems to be embracing that as part of its business strategy!
I wonder if there are listed reserve prices as those have real meaning.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Reserve prices aren't listed at auctions as it discourages a lot of starting bids.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby jaminem » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Seriously guys...

I have been a customer of this auction for about 3 years now and have got to know the staff, and I can tell you that despite the hysteria on this thread (disingenuous, lacking integrity, fake news business strategy?????) they are in fact none of these things.

They are also not infallible, there will be 3 days of auctions in December where they will sell thousands of lots (Guitars, memorabilia, pro audio, drums and traditional instruments etc) and for some reason, the fact that they have got a few estimates wrong (out of thousands!) has got some of your panties up in a bunch.

Typical of internet forums I guess to overreact and start chucking mud, but the fact is they are a decent company, seems a shame you're so quick to judge them based on so little...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 pm

...If you're interested in facts, here's the sale results from their last auction, you'll see their estimates are pretty accurate....

https://bid.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/m/vi ... log/id/137
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:11 pm

Our opinions differ. If they can't get it right for a guitar hero auction, then I wouldn't class them as that good, however nice they may be to deal with. Of course, if everything sorts itself out in the bidding, then there's no real need for a guide price is there? But still auction houses provide them. And if they provide them, then they should at least represent likely sale values so they can attract the right people with the right financial clout to maximise the price obtained for the seller. That's my view, and I'm not going to change.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Previous