You are here

Alexander Pribora Hand-wound Pickups

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Alexander Pribora Hand-wound Pickups

Postby Elephone » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:28 pm

Anyone tried these hand-wound strings? Heard some impressive demos, apart from horrible guitar setup on some of them (rattley low strings, etc).

https://www.priborapickups.com

The Voodoo ones I seem to be equivalent to Custom 69s
The Blues ones to the Fat 50s

Not sure.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Alexander Pribora Hand-wound Pickups

Postby MOF » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:59 pm

Your title is correct re the link but the question refers to strings. I haven’t heard of these pickups though.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Re: Alexander Pribora Pickups

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:00 pm

So many pickups makers out there now. For the price, these must be made somewhere in Asia, probably China, to the Moscow seller's specs. But certainly not Russian made.

There's stuff on that site about hand-made pickups, but it's not about their own pickups. That's deliberately misleading in my view. They do say to ignore the contents of their 'blog' and 'about' page, but I say that's crap and they know just what they are doing.

Note that although they say scatter-wound, they don't claim to be hand-made (though it's going to be impossible to make any pickup without a reasonable amount of human construction). They may be hand-wound, but it's more likely that they are wound on a machine that's programmed to replicate the characteristics of scatter-winding. There will be a difference between this type of winding and a truly hand-wound one, but it won't be a huge one. I'm sure these these pickups are good pickups, but try and see through the hype and see them for what they are. Alexander Pribora did not hand-wind each pickup, just as Harley Benton does not make each and every own-brand guitar that Thomann sells. It's a name

There are a lot of this type of pickup available now. They are great value for money and almost as good as a boutique pickup IMO. But for the majority of the members here who are UK based, I can't see the point in buying this type of pickup from abroad when you can buy equivalent quality for a similar or lower price from Tonerider or IronGear in the UK.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Elephone » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Wonks wrote:So many pickups makers out there now. For the price, these must be made somewhere in Asia, probably China, to the Moscow seller's specs. But certainly not Russian made.

Thanks. He claims to wind them by hand and use beeswax from his grandfather's bee farm. Any buzzing then? :smirk:

"Real hand wound pickup for Fender Stratocaster 1979. The real Hand winding, without machine use, only hands. Hand wound wire, provides not system laying of a wire. Each subsequent turn is put at changeable distance from previous, with different corners and effort. Winding of one pickup takes 2 hours."

What's the cost with copper and Alnico magnets ...or is it the human labour? I don't understand why quality pickups, like Seymour Duncans, go for so much money if they use a machine, unless they throw a lot of duds away. Surely, once you've discovered how to make a brilliant pickup with a machine, it's just a matter of repeating it (?)
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:57 pm

MOF wrote:Your title is correct re the link but the question refers to strings. I haven’t heard of these pickups though.

Sorry, yes I meant pickups.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:59 pm

Wonks wrote: They do say to ignore the contents of their 'blog' and 'about' page, but I say that's crap and they know just what they are doing.

Do you mean next to...

"The page is in a filling stage. Please pay no attention to its contents." ...?

I think that is just part of the website template instructions, so they (Alexander Pribora's people) simply haven't replaced the text from the template with their own info.

For instance, the Vulcanized Fiber heading text reads: "We are a fairly small, flexible design studio that designs for print and web. We work flexibly with clients to fulfil their design needs. Whether you need to create a brand from scratch, including marketing materials and a beautiful and functional website or whether you are looking for a design refresh we are confident you will be pleased with the results. Ross has over 10 years experience in the industry. He is our Creative Director, digital designer, web designer and front-end developer. He is also pretty good with a sketchbook. Before starting the company Ross worked as a designer and studio manager for a design house who boasted a number of big name clients. Ross has brought his vast experience from this role to the work he does now."

This was supposed to be replaced by their own (Alexander Pribora's) text about Vulcanized Fiber, but they haven't finished it, probably not realising it opens up a description.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:00 pm

Elephone wrote:
Wonks wrote:So many pickups makers out there now. For the price, these must be made somewhere in Asia, probably China, to the Moscow seller's specs. But certainly not Russian made.

Thanks. He claims to wind them by hand and use beeswax from his grandfather's bee farm. Any buzzing then? :smirk:

"Real hand wound pickup for Fender Stratocaster 1979. The real Hand winding, without machine use, only hands. Hand wound wire, provides not system laying of a wire. Each subsequent turn is put at changeable distance from previous, with different corners and effort. Winding of one pickup takes 2 hours."

That is for those particular pickups in the video. Not the ones for sale for $65 for 3. :headbang:

As I said, you're being misled by those videos.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:05 pm

If some of the post dates are correct, then the site's been up since 2015. I think 4 years is enough time to put the correct info on a website.

The more I see, the less I like.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Elephone » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 pm

I don't know, but I presume the original (e.g. Fender) pickups were wound by hand though, so it's not that far-fetched to me that someone just might be doing that, perhaps with help from friends and family members(?) after cannibalizing some genuine ones and copying them.

And... however much labour is involved, he'd have to price them low enough to capture customers from the likes of Seymour Duncan, Fender, etc...

Wonks wrote:If some of the post dates are correct, then the site's been up since 2015. I think 4 years is enough time to put the correct info on a website.

The more I see, the less I like.

No, you get those with free Wix websites too. Wix add 'example' info on their templates to replace with your own. I don't find that suspicious. Doesn't have to be a web design expert, especially if he/they are using a template, they wouldn't be.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:51 pm

"Hand wound" means the pickups were wound on a machine with the wire being guided onto the bobbin by a person with the turns being placed onto the bobbin in a a fairly unstructured order. As opposed to being wound on a fully automated machine where the turns are neatly laid next to each other. :roll:

Winding all the turns of wire onto a coil by hand like in that video isn't a great way to wind a pickup. Apart from taking 2 hours a pickup (which is financial suicide), it's hard to keep a constant tension on the wire and you're far more likely to break the wire or have very loose turns resulting in microphonic pickups.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:01 pm

On the other hand, random wound coils have a lower self capacitance. And at RF we used to wave-wind coils (by machine) to get it even lower. The downside is they are more bulky.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:10 pm

Folderol wrote:On the other hand, random wound coils have a lower self capacitance. And at RF we used to wave-wind coils (by machine) to get it even lower. The downside is they are more bulky.

It does, which is why people normally prefer hand-wound/scatter wound pickup coils over tightly wound ones. But that's not the effing point here.
Wonks
Jedi Poster