You are here

Affordable pickups that compare favorably to SSLs, Custom 69's, Fat 50's...?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Affordable pickups that compare favorably to SSLs, Custom 69's, Fat 50's...?

Postby Elephone » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:34 am

Looking for lower cost recommendations for AlNiCo pickups that compare very well to these expensive brands... obviously your opinion!

Do any really match up to SSLs, Fender Custom 69's, or Fender Fat 50's...? Looking for classic late 60's sound on USA Strat and/or USA Tele.

(It's not really about whether "I'm happy with them" because I don't have guitars with different pickups to make comparisons between, I just know I prefer AlNiCo to Ceramic from comparisons I've heard online. So, for all I know, I might be happy with a pickup, but not realise that I'd be more impressed by ones I haven't got access to.)

Thank you!
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Affordable pickups that compare favorably to SSLs, Custom 69's, Fat 50's...?

Postby SecretSam » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:50 am

Bareknuckle do a Boot Camp range - hand made from about 40 quid per pickup. Haven't tried them, but the reviews are good.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Re: Affordable pickups that compare favorably to SSLs, Custom 69's, Fat 50's...?

Postby John Egan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:39 am

I have tried pickups from bothe Brandoni in Wembley (if they are still around) and Stewmac in the States. Both have given me good results, and I would use them again. The Bareknuckle Boot Camp range that Sam mentions do sound interesting, though.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby adrian_k » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:13 pm

Cat’s Whisker pickups will build exactly what you want and he is very reasonably priced. I haven’t bought any myself but have seen and played a number of both SC and HB and always been impressed with the quality of work and sound.
http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/index.htm
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Hewesy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Iron Gear pickups would be worth a look, or IronStone (oddly similar names...)

Wilkinson not as cheap as they were but also good.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby doompalm » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:52 pm

You may want to investigate Vineham Pickups from Newfoundland, Canada. http://www.vineham.com/

I have several of his humbuckers and P90's and his work is excellent and he's willing to work with you. Even with postage from Canada to the UK, the exchange would make it an *excellent* deal.

Cheers...
doompalm