You are here

1 pedal = 1 setting?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

1 pedal = 1 setting?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:33 pm

There are floor pedals with a great number of controllable parameters via midi or other attachable controllers. In essence you need pedals to control your pedals. The mind boggles at what the humble pedal has evolved into.

I’m curious if anyone bothers to take advantage of this onstage or whether the old school approach of 1 pedal for 1 sound applies?

I also find that in the studio those pedals should be on a desk to be able to tweak without bending over back pain kicking in because they are on the floor.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: 1 pedal = 1 setting?

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Generally one pedal for one sound when playing live. You can use combinations of drives and boosts to get a wide range of distortion sounds, and I use a delay pedal with tap tempo and generally stick to the basic delay sound. Some pedal knobs you can tweak with your feet if you have the right soles on your shoes, but I prefer not to unless I really have to.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Bunk » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:03 pm

1 pedal, 1 sound here (with a bypass), although my pedal does have a "solo/boost" option. Think of it as going up to 11. That's when the ladies start throwing underwear in my direction.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:35 pm

Same here (apart form the ladies underwear :D ) discrete pedals live and only the delay get's tweaked everything else is set and forget.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BigRedX » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:54 pm

When I last use individual non-programmable pedals (some time in the late 80s) apart from the delay it was nearly always set and forget.

However, when it came to delays I had 3 separate devices - one for single timed delays where only the delay time was altered (it had a digital display for this parameter), one for multiple delays that was set to a single compromise setting for all the songs that needed it, and one that also did pitch shifting that had various used settings that were all written on my set list.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Funkyflash5 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:09 pm

I acknowledge I'm a weirdo, but I've got pedals controlling pedals in addition to pedals that do more than one thing such that I flip a switch or 2 between songs to change modes and I tend to play barefoot such that I can move a knob with my toe mid song. And all of this for bass! My pedal board weighs more than my cab :crazy:
Funkyflash5
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:25 pm

One pedal for one sound for me, with cascaded drive pedals on the guitar side then a delay, chorus and tremolo masquerading as a rotary speaker effect.
But strictly one pedal for one job.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 pm

1 pedal-1 sound, definitely. Some pedals have more than one switch - for example I use a Satchurator instead of a DS1 since it saves me a boost pedal. I have always at least two delay pedals inline for getting a specific type of delay, and a couple distortions and overdrive. The only thing I have in the B loop is an old Boss chorus, which sounds great but is quite noisy so I'd rather have it physically excluded when not in use. I often also bring two or three strats tuned slightly differently, since I use capos in lots of pieces, and when playing live it's much easier to grab a different guitar than to fine tune it after placing the capo..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page