You are here

Bought myself a Christmas present!

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Bought myself a Christmas present!

Postby garrettendi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:52 am

A used Marshall GV-2 pedal... Used to have one when I first started but I got frustrated that it "didn't sound good". Now I know the problem was me not the pedal...

It needs a bit of work, the mid knob isn't starting and stopping at the same point as the other knobs but should be an easy fix.

I plan to plug this into my interface and then feed it into the Ignite Amps TPA-1 VST power amp sim and some impulse responses and try and get a decent JCM800 sound.

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether that idea will work?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Bought myself a Christmas present!

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:49 am

Either it will, or it won't.

It's not a JCM800, it's a fairly cheap pedal that distorts in similar way to a JCM800, so don't expect it to sound exactly like a JCM800 clone.

Some web searching shows the pots to be mounted on their own PCB, rather than chassis mounted, so if it's a damaged pot, it may be harder to repair than you think. Although it may be that it's just the knob that needs adjusting on the spindle.

Now wrap it up, put it away and don't play with it until 25th Dec.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby garrettendi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:17 am

I can't remember if I gave the mid knob a proper run through in the shop, but it sounded good.

Bit concerned I may have wasted the cash now :(
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:22 am

Just try it out. Don't worry until you've heard it in anger.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:15 pm

They are reckoned G to be about as close to a good Marshall sound as you can get with a pedal (see thefretboard.co.uk) into a fairly clean amp.

Dual concentric pots can be a bit of a PITA to find as spares and something of a trial to change. Best way I found was to flood all the pins with solder then a quick BANG! Upside down on a bench. Watch for flying hot solder! But you might get away with a spray of cleaner, at least for a month or three.

Bad buy? You could not buy the case and switches for that as spares.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks Dave, I feel a bit better now about my purchase. The pedal sounds absolutely amazing into a clean Fender amp so even if the mid knob needs repair it is still decidedly usable!

A mate of mine is an Electrical Engineer who might fix it for me for the price of a pint, so I'll give him a buzz at some point.

At least I know the purchase wasn't a waste.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby IAA » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:27 pm

At least I know the purchase wasn't a waste.
It's all about the sound! If it inspires its more than repaid the outlay, waiting for some tunes in the new year!
IAA
Regular

Postby garrettendi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Oh believe me, when I was in the shop I was VERY inspired, even though the test guitar I used was awful!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby gingertimmins » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:55 pm

It’s a decent pedal. I have one and also the blues breaker overdrive. I upgraded mine for no other reason than I wanted a different flavour of drive on my board.
Between the pedal and the right amp sim you’ll be hard pressed to distinguish it from a jcm in a decent mix. Even isolated it will sound decent.

£35? Good purchase!
gingertimmins
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:44 pm

ef37a wrote:Bad buy? You could not buy the case and switches for that as spares.

Quite true - that's a fine-looking piece of hardware with some convincing long-term wear to add to its personality.

Bargain!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby garrettendi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:46 pm

Thanks chaps for all the nice comments! I plan to hit the studio tomorrow so will update you all!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:03 am

Another +1 for the build quality of those Marshall pedals I have about 3 in the spare stomper drawer inc a GV-2.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:13 pm

My Guv'nor doesn't look anything like that. I presume this is either an earlier incarnation or else a trendy retro reissue.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:24 pm

garrettendi wrote:It needs a bit of work, the mid knob isn't starting and stopping at the same point as the other knobs but should be an easy fix

If you mean the mechanical end stops of the knob are at different rotational angles to the other controls, then it's probably just a loose or slipped nut securing the pot shaft to the case -- assuming the pots are wired to the circuitry rather than mounted on a PCB. Check the construction inside the box.

But if its wired and loose or has slipped, remove the knobs, loosen the nut, reposition the pot, tighten, and refit knobs.

The knobs are probably secured to the pot shaft with recessed bolts in the side -- usually just one each, but some have two at 90degrees to each other. And they could be slotted grub screws or an Allen (hex) bolts.

When repositioning the pot, do check the internals to make sure you're not stressing the wires
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby garrettendi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:If you mean the mechanical end stops of the knob are at different rotational angles to the other controls, then it's probably just a loose or slipped nut securing the pot shaft to the case -- assuming the pots are wired to the circuitry rather than mounted on a PCB. Check the construction inside the box.

But if its wired and loose or has slipped, remove the knobs, loosen the nut, reposition the pot, tighten, and refit knobs.

The knobs are probably secured to the pot shaft with recessed bolts in the side -- usually just one each, but some have two at 90degrees to each other. And they could be slotted grub screws or an Allen (hex) bolts.

When repositioning the pot, do check the internals to make sure you're not stressing the wires

That sounds easily done by my qualified friend!

Mike: I think it’s just been well used!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
garrettendi wrote:It needs a bit of work, the mid knob isn't starting and stopping at the same point as the other knobs but should be an easy fix

If you mean the mechanical end stops of the knob are at different rotational angles to the other controls, then it's probably just a loose or slipped nut securing the pot shaft to the case -- assuming the pots are wired to the circuitry rather than mounted on a PCB. Check the construction inside the box.

Those knobs look identical to those on the HT-Dual pedal and so the single knobs will be on splines as are the wee top knobs. The lower DCon knobs will I am sure be secured with a ~2mm Acrflats slotted grub screw.
The pots will almost certainly be soldered to the PCB and I will bet be the very same ones mechanically if not in value and law as those in the pedal.

Note! Do not use screwdrivers to prise off tight knobs! Use a very strong thread, dental floss is ideal and rig it to pull symetrically so as not to bend anything. Floss will also not scratch metalwork.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:45 pm

https://reverb.com/uk/p/marshall-guvnor ... rce=google

No, it's really nothing like mine. That's gotta be 4x what I paid for it.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Yup, there are at least two incarnations of the Guv'ner pedal. I don't know how the mk1 and mk2 compare sound wise but I can't see the mk1 being 4 times as good as the mk2...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yup, there are at least two incarnations of the Guv'ner pedal. I don't know how the mk1 and mk2 compare sound wise but I can't see the mk1 being 4 times as good as the mk2...

From Reddit I hear the second one has an additional knob for “Deep” as well as less high end than the original
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 pm

Definitely no deep knob. I think back in the day it was the effects loop that I found appealing. That and the fact it is built like a tank. I still have the box which might give a clue as to what I paid but I'm sure it wasn't much. Hesseys in Liverpool I think, sadly long gone now.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next