You are here

Pedalboard Day!

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pedalboard Day!

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Kwackman wrote:That 500mA max load will soon get used up depending on what pedals are used.

Garrettendi- what pedals are you going to use?

Thanks!

Morley Bad Horsie
Boss TU-3 tuner
Joyo Ultimate Drive
Behringer HM-300
Marshall GV-2
Biyang Metal End King

I was actually planning on taking the entire board to a guitar shop and getting them to advise and wire up the power supply
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:45 pm

All basic analogue circuits apart from the TU-3, and that's only 30mA, So 500mA would be fine for the current set up (did you see what I did there?).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:47 pm

I couldn't find specs for the Metal End online but the Akai version (it's a clone) says to use a minimum 200mA power supply? But are you saying it's not a 200mA draw?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Found a picture of the back of the Metal End here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ammoon-Distort ... NrPXRydWU=

garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:49 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Better to wait a while till the piggy bank is healthier than rush out and buy something that you'll need to replace very soon. And a decent PSU will last a lifetime, of course...
+1 :!:

Do you seriously want to be fastening/unfastening the pedals to muck about with batteries?! Wait a little longer and do the job properly.

But 200 quid?!?! Nah! The one I use typically goes for between 10 and 20 quid on eBay.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm

garrettendi wrote:I was actually planning on taking the entire board to a guitar shop and getting them to advise and wire up the power supply

And I thought you were trying to save money! It really is a no-brainer to plug the PSU cables into the pedals. All the voltage and polarity of the pedals will be 9v centre negative to the Boss standard.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 pm

garrettendi wrote:I couldn't find specs for the Metal End online but the Akai version (it's a clone) says to use a minimum 200mA power supply? But are you saying it's not a 200mA draw?

It says 43mA further down the Amazon page.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:58 pm

garrettendi wrote:I was actually planning on taking the entire board to a guitar shop and getting them to advise and wire up the power supply
Absolutely no need! Just plug it all in and use it! Any advice you need is here on the forum.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 pm

The Elf wrote:Absolutely no need! Just plug it all in and use it!

Think I might do that then... What's the danger if something goes wrong?

Thanks to everyone for your help, and I apologise for being so tight with the pennies.

EDIT: I mean I'll get the Thomann one.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:03 pm

Just check the supplied leads before you use them and don't use ones with reversed voltage polarity connections (normally have a red end) and you'll be fine.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:07 pm

garrettendi wrote:Think I might do that then... What's the danger if something goes wrong?

There's not too much that can go wrong really, if the pedals are all expecting 9V and you have a PSU with a load of 9V outputs then you're pretty much in the clear. As Elf says, if in doubt just ask here.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:14 pm

Another bit...the 500mA rating is max draw...do you ever have a situation in which all your pedals are in use at the same time?

I have anywhere from 6 to 10 pedals in my board and it's rare that more than 4 are on at once so the max rating never really comes into play.

Also, fwiw I use a voodoo power 2 which allows me to alter voltage for two outputs and provides leads for non standard pedals. about $170 USD new, much less used.

Although lately I can hear it whine and I'll probably replace it soon, it has been through the wars for about 8 years now so I won't fault it for giving up the ghost.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Watchmaker wrote:Another bit...the 500mA rating is max draw...do you ever have a situation in which all your pedals are in use at the same time?

I have anywhere from 6 to 10 pedals in my board and it's rare that more than 4 are on at once so the max rating never really comes into play.

Also, fwiw I use a voodoo power 2 which allows me to alter voltage for two outputs and provides leads for non standard pedals. about $170 USD new, much less used.

Although lately I can hear it whine and I'll probably replace it soon, it has been through the wars for about 8 years now so I won't fault it for giving up the ghost.

The most I'll have on at a singe moment is may two of the gain pedals and the wah. The TU-3 would also be switched on when tuning, so thats a max of 4 pedals at once and that's probably going to be a very rare occurrence.

What about the buffered pedals like the TU-3? Will they always draw?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Yes, though I suspect most of the electronics will be active in the tuner all the time, you just won't be lighting any LEDs in bypass.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Wonks wrote:Yes, though I suspect most of the electronics will be active in the tuner all the time, you just won't be lighting any LEDs in bypass.

Ah! So from the sounds of that all will be well. Once payday hits, I'll get the Thomann one and plug in and test them one at a time.

Some of the reviews talk of a nasty hum... Does anyone know how bad that is? I'm not hugely fussed, and I can always upgrade later.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:53 pm

Any hum will be dependent on the pedals used and the severity of any ground loops created caused by not using a PSU with isolated outputs. This is normally far worse with digital pedals like delays and choruses than with distortions and drives. I doubt the PSU itself creates a hum.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:27 pm

True enough but, at the price, and for my needs it works a treat. YMMV :)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:35 pm

How about this as a halfway house? https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... _2_pro.htm

It's only £8 over my budget, and has isolated inputs so less noise?

Would this power the following pedals, including the ones not on the board for now:

Morley Bad Horsie
Boss TU-3
Joyo Ultimate Drive
Behringer HM300
Marshall GV-2
Biyang Metal End
TC Electronics Nova Modulator
Boss DD-20

As you can see I would have a total of 8 pedals and the Nova is 12V?

I just feel spending a little over budget like this would pay dividends with no noise.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm

I'm sure you'd notice a difference using a PSU with isolated supplies, but whether it's enough of a difference to be worth spending a lot more money for a PSU is really going to be down to your particular mix of pedals , and the order they are in.

And it's unlikely that you'd get the chance to try your pedalboard out with a different PSU for a basic comparison. If you are happy spending £200+ per pedal then a £150-£200 PSU serving 8 or more of them isn't going to phase you. But if you are all Tone City or Mooer etc. then an expensive PSU does become a relative extravagance.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Wonks wrote:I'm sure you'd notice a difference using a PSU with isolated supplies, but whether it's enough of a difference to be worth spending a lot more money for a PSU is really going to be down to your particular mix of pedals , and the order they are in.

And it's unlikely that you'd get the chance to try your pedalboard out with a different PSU for a basic comparison. If you are happy spending £200+ per pedal then a £150-£200 PSU serving 8 or more of them isn't going to phase you. But if you are all Tone City or Mooer etc. then an expensive PSU does become a relative extravagance.

I hear you there. I've almost always bought pedals cheap or second hand.

So it sounds like seeing as I almost never spent £100 on a pedal (except once), you recommend the cheaper PSU without isolation? Some of the sound samples on YT are... interesting.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext