You are here

Pedalboard Day!

Page 1 of 5

Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:56 am
by garrettendi
Finally bit the bullet and after 16 years of playing (badly) the guitar, I finally bought a pedalboard to mount my pedals. It was getting frustrating for both myself and my wife that all my pedals are scattered around the bedroom floor in the studio corner which looks messy and is a lot of faff to arrange when I play.

Now my pedals can be tucked away in one motion, and taken to gigs and rehearsals securely instead of dumped in a rucksack.

If anyone is interested in what it is, it's a GOKKO AUDIO GKB-52 from Amazon, but I haven't set it up yet (only arrived yesterday and I didn't get home til 11pm!). I'll post my thoughts on it once set up!

Next is to get a dedicated power supply so I can leave the cables plugged in without burning out the batteries :headbang:

Hopefully my pedals will fit as per the measurements I took before purchasing...

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 am
by The Elf
This is a good move. Use decent cables (the flat angled jack connectors are a wise investment), fasten everything down twice and have a chunky power cables hanging off this thing. Job done!

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:22 am
by garrettendi
Thanks for the encouragement! I'll need to plug in the cables each time I use it as I'm running off batteries but I think ASAP I'll get a power supply, so I don't wear out the velcro

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:28 am
by Luke W
garrettendi wrote:Hopefully my pedals will fit as per the measurements I took before purchasing...

You did make sure it's big enough for at least 50% more pedals, right??? :D

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:29 am
by garrettendi
Luke W wrote:You did make sure it's big enough for at least 50% more pedals, right??? :D

Ah kerrap! I knew I'd done something wrong! :lol:

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:41 am
by CS70
if you aren't used to pedalboard, remember that a little oxidation can occur over time in the jack sockets/plugs. The result is increased noise, crackling or otherwise sonic nasties. Once every couple months, simply unplug and re-plug the jacks a few times to remove it.

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am
by garrettendi
CS70 wrote:if you aren't used to pedalboard, remember that a little oxidation can occur over time in the jack sockets/plugs. The result is increased noise, crackling or otherwise sonic nasties. Once every couple months, simply unplug and re-plug the jacks a few times to remove it.

I did not know this and it's such a simple task to do, so thank you kindly :thumbup:

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 am
by Hugh Robjohns
garrettendi wrote:...I think ASAP I'll get a power supply, so I don't wear out the velcro

Don't skimp on the PSU. Get a decent one with individual isolated outputs to avoid ground-loops and nasty noises.

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:52 am
by garrettendi
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Don't skimp on the PSU. Get a decent one with individual isolated outputs to avoid ground-loops and nasty noises.

I was going to budget about £50. Is that enough?

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
:lol: :lolno:

I'm no expert as to what's available in this area, and it will depend on how many outputs you require and whether you need multiple voltages etc... but I'd budget for four or five times that!

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ne ... topus-plus

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cioks-dc7

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/t- ... -chameleon

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/mx ... nics-mc403

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:17 pm
by Martin Walker
garrettendi wrote:If anyone is interested in what it is, it's a GOKKO AUDIO GKB-52 from Amazon, but I haven't set it up yet (only arrived yesterday and I didn't get home til 11pm!). I'll post my thoughts on it once set up!

And to save anyone else having to search for this product to find out more, I tracked down the Amazon link ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GOKKO-GKB-52-C ... nts&sr=1-2

...and a pic

Image

All part of the wonderful SOS service! ;)


Martin

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 pm
by garrettendi
Hugh Robjohns wrote:but I'd budget for four or five times that!

Unfortunately that's way out of my available funds :(

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 pm
by garrettendi
Thanks Martin! :thumbup:

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:23 pm
by The Elf
garrettendi wrote:I'll need to plug in the cables each time I use it as I'm running off batteries...
:wtf:

If you're going to do this, do it properly! :!:

Re: Pedalboard Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:24 pm
by garrettendi
The Elf wrote::wtf:

If you're going to do this, do it properly! :!:

I will do! I just need to do it in stages. Baby comes in just over a month.