You are here

Recommend a lightweight pedal power supply please!

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Recommend a lightweight pedal power supply please!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:12 pm

My son wants to replace the steel box Power Plant unit that currently supplies most of his pedals on his board with something a lot lighter. Recommendations please! Cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Recommend a lightweight pedal power supply please!

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:24 pm

How many pedals need to be powered and do any of them require anything other than 9v? Also, any pedals that require more than just a few mA? Does it need to have more outputs than that for future expansion?

Can you link to the existing supply, or give us the weight of it?

And is there a max. budget?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:44 pm

No, nothing special, just six regular boss type 9v requirements, he powers a couple of other ones (Digitech X7 or whatever it is) direct. He currently uses one of these: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant.htm It's great but overkill for his current (teehee) needs and weighs a ton.*

Budget, hmmm under £75

*Not the actual weight.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby DGL. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:51 pm

If it's this one, https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant.htm then it's 1KG, there is a (albeit more expensive) supply with similar specs but only 200g https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... _2_pro.htm @ 58€ or https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... _1_pro.htm @ 49€, not used any of them so can't comment on quality.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 pm

As I mentioned in the other pedalboard post, those Harley Benton external PSUs will come with adaptors, and with the (bloody awful) style of the PSU used (not great even on Europlugs), it's not going to be stable.

Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Yes the one he has currently has a proper kettle lead (DON'T CALL IT A KETTLE LEAD! shouts Hugh from the wings).

But this might be a good alternative, no wall wart etc https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:05 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Yes the one he has currently has a proper kettle lead (DON'T CALL IT A KETTLE LEAD! shouts Hugh from the wings).

But this might be a good alternative, no wall wart etc https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm

It is 920g though, only 80g less than his current one going by the manual specs.

This might do it though, https://www.thomann.de/gb/trex_fuel_tank_junior.htm
5 outputs, figure 8 input
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 pm

Has he weighed his pedalboard? Boss pedals weigh around 400g, a Pedaltrain Junior weighs 1.4kG so 6 boss pedals and board plus that PSU weighs around 5.8kg (and you say he has at least one other pedal with a separate PSU on there?)*. so he's saving slightly more than the weight of one Boss pedal or about 8%. Seems a little pointless to me TBH as even carrying it on the bus with a guitar in a gig bag he probably won't feel any difference. If he's just loading into and out of a car..............

* The lighter ones suggested only have 5 outputs BTW
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 am

He’s just got a new smaller lighter board plus some mini pedals eg a Tc polytune mini to replace his Boss tuner so as Tesco says every little helps.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am

Fair enough, I have a couple of smaller boards as well as the big one and mix and match pedals on them according to the gig.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm

They may work fine, or you may get ground-loop noise. The more pedals you have, the more chance of any ground-loop issues. And digital ones are far more likely to suffer than analogue pedals (though some analogue circuits with clock circuits in can also be noisy).

I'm afraid it is all a question of 'maybe'. 50 shades of maybe.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Exactly, the one I bought from a retailer on ebay was very noisy, it was supposed to be a conventional transformer based supply but was actually switch mode and introduced digital hash into the audio path. They were miffed when I sent it back as they could not hear the problem. Maybe they only tested it with a single or a couple of pedals? Either way they would not accept that it was not fit for purpose. OTOH I daisy chain three of four pedals off my Boss PSUs they are fine so just buy a decent iron based PSU with plenty of capacity and buy a cheap daisy chain lead.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 pm

The only issue I know for products like this is that they are not isolated, plus if I was getting a PSU I'd either want a branded one or an own brand of a decent dealer. So one like this, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-Be ... Sw9YNZqDj5 , would probably be better, made for Behringer so will be of guaranteed quality (to an extent) and safety.

Also one thing though that ran alarm bells for the one in the attached listing is that the label is not fitted properly in their picture of a UK one, that I think speaks volumes about the quality of said supply as f they can't even get their stock picture right think about what they may let slide on the ones they are shipping.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 pm

OK, thanks. :D
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm

just buy a decent iron based PSU with plenty of capacity and buy a cheap daisy chain lead.

Can you show me what you mean? Cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:24 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:
just buy a decent iron based PSU with plenty of capacity and buy a cheap daisy chain lead.

Can you show me what you mean? Cheers

I think he means one with a transformer rather than a switching supply, however, if the switching supply is well made and designed for AV equipment not IT equipment then it should be fine.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:08 pm

As stated on t'other thread, I've been using one of these: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-B ... music/1P94 for one of my pedal boards for quite a few years now with no problems. But it doesn't run anything heavy load - a couple of switching pedals, a chorus, a delay and a tremolo (all analogue).
YMMV
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby jaminem » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:26 pm

I really wouldn't skimp on the PSU - those mass market rebrands are rarely isolated and free of noise even if they claim to be...

I have a T Rex fuel tank isolated that works well...
The 1 Spot stuff is also good....
jaminem
Frequent Poster