You are here

PRS SE Hollowbody II

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: PRS SE Hollowbody II

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 am

This morning I've taken the action down on my S2 so that it plays more in line with my Core and my SE Chris Robertson - and it's shifted it up a gear.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:27 pm

I've never really got the idea of a guitar being 'sterile' or 'clinical'. But that might just be because i'm not a good enough player to appreciate it.

No, it's because the idea is total bollocks and you're quite right to reject it. It's all to do with how a guitar looks. People think that if it doesn't look like it was made in the 50s it's somehow lacking in, ahem, vibe. It's a marketing trick which amateur players and children repeat all day long on YouTube. It's the guitar version of 'vintage warmth'.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:34 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:
I've never really got the idea of a guitar being 'sterile' or 'clinical'. But that might just be because i'm not a good enough player to appreciate it.

No, it's because the idea is total bollocks and you're quite right to reject it. It's all to do with how a guitar looks. People think that if it doesn't look like it was made in the 50s it's somehow lacking in, ahem, vibe. It's a marketing trick which amateur players and children repeat all day long on YouTube. It's the guitar version of 'vintage warmth'.
So you're saying every guitar feels the same to play? I don't think cost or kudos comes into it, I agree with that sentiment though.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Irrational beliefs justify unthinkable actions

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Guitars all feel different to play but yes, much of our perception is down to looks. I freely admit I like the way my guitars look and would not have bought them if didn't look good to me. There is something in the name too but it's not cut and dried, I like my Gibson LP and my Brian Eastwood custom built acoustic because they feel 'special' for one reason or another but I also like my Squire bitsa Strat and my Mountain D45. Whatever it is I have a 'connection'* with all my guitars and that is important to me. But, that connection is equally as dependent on sound and feel and if a guitar doesn't play well or sound good I won't make that 'connection' and either won't buy or will, sooner or later, sell the guitar in question.

* Sorry, another 'pretentious git' moment :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:

I very much disagree. It's got nothing to do with looks for me (and a PRS could easily be a 50's guitar). And I'm certainly not influenced by YouTube videos (well ones that don't contain hard provable facts). It's all about how a guitar sounds and responds to me. OK, if I don't like the looks then I probably wouldn't get one, but that wouldn't stop me acknowledging the guitar as a good one. Arkieboy's old Les Paul Signature is a lovely playing and sounding guitar, but it really is fugly to me!

I must admit to not having tried that many PRSs (as very few have the wide thin neck that I can get on with), but whenever I do, There's never been a 'wow' factor in how it performs. Maybe swapping out the pups would do it, but on some models, like the 408 I fettled, you can't easily do that without major changes.

PRSs really are marmite guitars.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:04 pm

until that one day when one calls your name and then it will be your marmite guitar
:think:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:51 pm

I did try a Mira (when they first came out) and quite liked it. But I thought the quality of the plastics and selector switch was poor. It was very SG like, but at the time you could get a better quality proper SG for under 2/3 the price of the PRS.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby arkieboy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 am

I’m another ‘unconvinced by PRS’ guitarist here.

I’m not someone who thinks guitars should be built like they were from the 50s, or they should be conventionally pretty, I used to own two Roland G707s after all ...

The problem with PRS is that the guitars I’ve played - about half a dozen, and I really would like to give these hollow guitars a go - don’t restrict or constrain my playing in any way, or lead my playing down any particular avenues. They’re just blank canvases. Very competent, very well made, passive pieces of luxury furniture.

My Les Paul, my Strat, my Brian Moore, those G707 connected to a GR700, my LP Signature all suggest sounds and styles. If I need inspiration I just noodle on a different guitar and I’ll be playing things slightly differently or choosing different amps, pedals, settings. For me guitar has to fight you or cajole you - or both - in some way, or it just doesn’t feel like a guitar.

Several of my heroes love PRS - it’s not as if I have any reason to dislike them. They just don’t have mojo.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby thefruitfarmer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:06 pm

Now I have had the guitar for a few weeks I do get the comments about the sterility and lack of mojo....

My other guitar is a baja tele with a four way switch and it gives what I think of as a country lead, rockabilly rhythm, jazz rhythm and humbucker sounds...

The PRS Hollowbody 2 is easier to play (although the tele is overdue a professional set up) and I would say made with greater precision. When you pick it up you don't want to put it down again, all the notes are even, the pickups are responsive and the three position switch gives a mellow sound, a rhythm sound and a brighter sound. The different pick up postions really need you to adjust tone knob each time to find the real sweet spot. Good for recording but not so good for live.

It is almost like the pre set sound from synths in the 90's that sounded great in isolation in the shop but needed tweaking to fit in a mix, or a bit like a Strymon El Cap sounds to me in that it seems to be the tape echo after mastering and then heard from a vinyl disc rather than the exciting raw sound of the tape echo box. Boss RE-20 can get the almost going out of control thing vibe, which is something I find the El Cap lacks.

These PRS guitars are built to be sold I suppose.....

I do agree that my Hollowbody Two is a blank canvas and that the guitar does not lead you in any particular direction. That said I need to try it with some different drive pedals and see which ones it likes, that will be interesting, with the responsive pick ups and ease of playing. It does have a good solid bass response too, which could need taming in a mix or indeed live.

I hope it does n't turn out like my Q-Tron Plus which sounds great for a while and then the ear feels the need to tweak something to make it sound better every couple of minutes.

I am thinking of it as versatile rather than bland but it is a guitar, to my mind, that you have to take control of and know where you are going with it. I am looking forward to recording it along with the tele...

It does look really good though, which adds to any mojo..

thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:15 pm

A change of at least one pickup in the future might improve the tonal palette on offer. It is an SE, so if it was too good, there wouldn't be much point in anyone buying the full-fat version. But I'm glad you're finding it good to play otherwise.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:55 pm

Wonks wrote:A change of at least one pickup in the future might improve the tonal palette on offer. It is an SE, so if it was too good, there wouldn't be much point in anyone buying the full-fat version. But I'm glad you're finding it good to play otherwise.

Thanks, it is really good to play, making me try what I normally would not attempt.

I did compare with the more expensive versions and they have more advanced electronics for tonal options. I do prefer a simple guitar switching system and rely on pedals to add any extra. It does seem to me that a coil tap does make a change but not quite enough to be really noticed and sound fresh so I am going to have a pedal experiment....

My feeling is that this guitar will get you almost to a place but need something to really get it there. Might just be an EQ pedal needed or some overdrive....
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Previous