You are here

Loose pick-grip cosmetics

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Loose pick-grip cosmetics

Postby BJG145 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:09 pm

OK, not cosmetics exactly; but anyway. My pick grip has improved a bit, and I'm sticking to the same one these days (Jazz III Ultex, sounds like a prophylactic but it's a decent plectrum), but with dry hands it's still not easy to hold the thing securely.

A while back I tried something called Pick Honey but that was ridiculous; you might as well use superglue. So...gotta be something sensible for this; just regular hand cream perhaps? Maybe I just answered my own question, but I'll leave it here for you to debate your favourite hand-care products...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Re: Loose pick-grip cosmetics

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:12 pm

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm

I know this is a serious issue but - (and I’ve done my fair share of dropping drumsticks)
Big bloody chuckle of the day!

:D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Egan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:28 pm

BJG145 wrote:OK, not cosmetics exactly; but anyway. My pick grip has improved a bit, and I'm sticking to the same one these days (Jazz III Ultex, sounds like a prophylactic but it's a decent plectrum), but with dry hands it's still not easy to hold the thing securely.

A while back I tried something called Pick Honey but that was ridiculous; you might as well use superglue. So...gotta be something sensible for this; just regular hand cream perhaps? Maybe I just answered my own question, but I'll leave it here for you to debate your favourite hand-care products...

These days, I have a real problem holding on to a plectrum. It's an age thing, dry slippery fingers.
These things have made a big difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Grips-Ul ... B00JER27MO

Hope they help..
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Stratman57 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:13 pm

I use a thumb pick, inspired in the 70s by seeing Nils Lofgren on the Old Grey Whistle Test. Very difficult to drop, and you can hold it as if it's a standard plectrum, but as a thumb pick it lets you use the rest of your fingers to pluck the strings, or play harmonics like Nils.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:33 pm

I've tried that but, for it to work me, it will involve a big change of technique to something resembling the 'Bluegrass Grip' which I'm trying to do for other reasons but finding it very hard after 55 years.......

I'm still waiting for somebody to come up with a pic that works like my Wegen Gypsy Jazz Pick but with a thumb grip like the Bumblebee pick

A great idea spoiled by a basically crap pick.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Stratman57 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:03 am

Stratman57
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:43 am

Those are the kind of thumb pick I have tried in the past and they don't work for me for several reasons.

The problem is complex, when strumming/pomping* with a very thick pick you need to allow some movement, the pick doesn't bend or give at all, a thumb pick doesn't allow that movement. Also I hold the pick with the pad of my thumb and the tip of my index (and sometimes index and second) finger so it is not aligned with my lower thumb joint as a thumb pick would be. Wegen picks are bevelled at the tip to take this into account (so you need to order in left or right handed as appropriate).

*Gypsy Jazz rhythm playing
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby IvanSC » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:06 pm

This is a regularly recurring theme, isn't it?
I got the suggestion om monster grips last time around & for a while they worked fine for me.
Nowadays I have been glueing really rough sandpaper (80grit or 60 grit) to either side in an attempt to keep hold of picks. Mostly it works.

As the arthritis in my wrists and thumbs has gotten worse over the years, I now find that if I strum either with just my fingers or even with a pick I wear notches in the nail of my middle finger right hand till it cuts into the flesh & I bleed. Same is starting to happen now with my index finger. Havent figured this one out but have started trying that white "Michael Jackson" surgical tape but it wears down to the nail a gain in one 46 minute set.

Left wrist is even worse.... I have started playing chords Keith Richards style... haven't been able to do proper bar chords in years & am seriously considering going over to just lap steel.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 pm

That's bad news Ivan but out of adversity etc. In the words of Mr Zimmerman "The only thing I knew how to do, Was to keep on keeping on". Have you come across Tom Doughty?

http://www.tomdoughty.com/biography/
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:27 pm

IvanSC wrote:This is a regularly recurring theme, isn't it? I got the suggestion on monster grips last time around & for a while they worked fine for me.

(You're right...I was just leafing through that last post from five years ago. They worked for a while for me too, but I gave up on them in the end for various reasons...I seem to remember the stickiness gradually wore off, or the grip peeled off, and I didn't really want that bump in the middle of the pick. Think I'll just stick to Jazz IIIs and hand cream now.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Just one final thought, a little more expensive than pick honey or WHY but I rarely drop my Wegen Gypsy Jazz Picks. https://www.wegenpicks.com/#order

I use Wegen Gypsy Jazz Picks (3.5mm) for nearly everything but also have and use 3.5mm Twins (a smaller version) and Bluegrass Pick (very similar to a standard Tortex shape but 1.4mm which and much harder than a Tortex) These have holes in for grip but are not as good as the GJ and Twins for grip. I use them because they are a little brighter (and they are considerable cheaper).

I think the Twins are closest in size to your preferred JazzIII picks so if you want to give one a try PM your address and I'll send you one, just bung it back in the post when you have decided one way or the other.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Stratman57 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:50 pm

Bloody hell, what gauge strings do you have on your gypsy jazz guitar?

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:53 pm

Irn-Bru, they're made in Scotland from girders.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Chilly Canuck » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:03 am

I prefer the no-name 2mm picks. I use a sharp blade to create a crosshatch pattern on each side. They work really well until they break at the most inopportune moment...
Chilly Canuck
New here

Next