You are here

Headrush Gigboard as an alternative to TC Electronics Plethora X5

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Headrush Gigboard as an alternative to TC Electronics Plethora X5

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:59 pm

This looks like an interesting bit of kit, 5 TC 'Tone Print' stomp boxes in one unit. But you can store 75 in there and have 127 different virtual pedalboards available. The one important omission from my POV was the lack of a looper but a quick meal to support reveals that they are planning to include one as an option.

I'm just waiting to see how configurable the foot switches are, if you could assign a single switch to a couple of virtual pedals that would be great. There are two downsides to a pedalboard as opposed to a multi fx, the size of the thing and the tap dancing when you need to switch two fx on or off simultaneously.

£399 seems like a lot though (cheaper than the pedals on my pedalboard if I had to replace them all with new but not by that much).

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Guitar/Effects-Processors/PLETHORA-X5/p/P0D9M#googtrans(en|en)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Headrush Gigboard as an alternative to TC Electronics Plethora X5

Postby adrian_k » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:00 am

Thanks, it does look potentially interesting. I don’t know anything about Toneprint and found the TC electronic website impossible/frustrating to navigate. Do you know if the available FX include any overdrive/distortion types? There don’t appear to be any in those included with the board.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:34 am

No drives/distortions. Toneprint is for their digital pedals only whilst the TC drive pedals are all analogue. But I think it has inputs/output loops for switching external pedals on and off, so you can use your choice of drives with it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:37 am

It's a lot of money for what it is, especially when you think that it is a Behringer product, so should really be £150 at most, if you consider what 5x Behringer pedals cost. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby adrian_k » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks - think I’ll pass ;)

I like the idea of a configurable all in one pedal board but if I’ve got to start adding other pedals in I might as well keep my setup.

And as you say it ain’t cheap.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 pm

I may have found an alternative, the Headrush Gigboard is only £450 and looks superb, it even has a 20 minute looper (essential for me). If I could devise a way of applying an IR to my acoustic guitar signal like the Tone Dexter does it would be perfect, but It's compact enough that I could always use the TD as a front end. I imagine the Tone Dexter wavemaps are a proprietary format and I doubt Audio Sprockets would be willing to divulge their secrets to the point that they could be used in another device but maybe Headrush could devise some IR's that would do much what the Fishman Aura preamp used to do.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:48 pm

I've just come upon a minor downside to the Gigboard, it's PSU is 19VDC where the Helix HX Effects is 9VDC which makes it much more difficult to power 'off grid'. Admittedly both would need some fairly meaty batteries as they draw 3A (so the Gigboard needs around twice the power but it has got much more processing power).

I know we have several Helix users around but has anybody used the Headrush or compared the two? The touch screen looks very attractive to me and it is the same internally as the full blown Pedalboard just with reduced hardware controls onboard. The Helix HX Effects (and HX Stomp) OTOH have reduce processing power and controls compared to the big Helix.

Any thoughts?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:00 pm

There's a review in May 2019 Guitarist mag, their only downside was the power supply too (and a note that it's a big old unit too compared to the Helix).

Apparently it can load up IR's in any format too so if you can get hold of something for the TD - or replicate it to a degree - then you should be able to load it up.

No idea where might actually stock one though so it might be a web gamble?

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Well, I've bitten the bullet and bought a Headrush Gigboard (will deal with the power issues somehow, car to laptop supply seems favourite so far and a big old SLA 12V battery).

It arrives tomorrow at the drop off shop, will collect Tuesday and we'll see how it goes.

The main turn offs for the Helix units were the lack of loop memory (2 mins max in mono and low res IIRC) and absence of amp models. The Plethora does not do distortions or amp models either. The Headrush is fully specified so usable as a complete rig for all kinds of gigs.

I'll be investigating the format of the TD wavemaps and also Fishman Aura IR's to see if it's possible to insert them into the signal chain of the Headrush. That would be the icing on the cake but any suggestions as to how it could be achieved gratefully accepted.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Well first brief, impressions are very good, it's built like the proverbial concrete toilet and the touch screen is great. It looks as if setting up patches will be pretty straightforward and, through the Bose S1 Pro it sounds pretty decent though only the presets so far which are a little over compressed and lifeless*. Will try it through the 18 watt combo later which should grit things up nicely.

* I'm gonna start from a blank canvas and add stuff in one thing at a time rather than try to modify the presets, at first anyway, we'll see how a simple stomp box chain compares to my current pedalboard.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:38 pm

We're talking about the headrush not the plethora here aren't we?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Headrush Gigboard as a better alternative to TC Electronics Plethora X5

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Yes, sorry Drew, I've edited the heading :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:21 pm

:thumbup:
I'm easily confused at the moment.... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:15 am

Get well soon mate..... :frown:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:24 pm

I wonder of a mod would be kind enough to change the thread title to the one above top better reflect the content?

Just thought I'd update the Gigboard saga. It's all going pretty well, it's nice and easy too use once you get used to a couple of conventions, it sounds good, and I have satisfied myself that it doesn't colour the sound with all fx slots empty*.

The touch screen is a joy and the only lack, from a hardware POV is the absence of a proper DI output. It does have TRS balanced outputs (configurable to either line or instrument level so it's not a major nag) and four channel USB I/O.

There are a more limited number of stomp box models than I expected but all the bases seem to be covered so that'll do for now, and I expect future fw updates will add new models.

Finally for now it does sound great through the 18 watt which is the most important thing I guess.

* I haven't yet worked a reliable way of testing whether it affects touch sensitivity or dynamics in that state but am hopeful it won't.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next