You are here

G7th capos - shoutout

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

G7th capos - shoutout

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:09 pm

A shoutout for the fellows at G7th .

They make guitar capos of great quality, and as I like to have a separate capo for each guitar I have a lot of the contraptions, and G7th's are really good ones. They have a clutch that makes it possible to set it up super quickly but which keeps strings under exactly the pressure you want - reducing of pitching issues.

They also come with lifetime warranty. 4 or maybe 5 years ago (or even more, really don't remember) I had bought a classical capo which did is job very well until two-three months ago, when it broke - the plastic clutch came undone, I guess due to wear.

Didn't remember exactly when or where I bought it and most certainly didn't have a receipt, but I wrote to them, sending a picture of the broken capo.

A couple weeks later I got a brand new one in the mailbox, no question asked and no money needed. Great service!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: G7th capos - shoutout

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:56 pm

That's impressive. I've always been a fan of the Shubb capos but next time i'm in the market I may give them a look.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby adrian_k » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:45 pm

That’s great service. Always good to hear. :D Not my favourite capo but that’s definitely a plus for them next time I’m buying or recommending :thumbup:
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby ef37a » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:30 pm

This is how service USED to be and should still be.

Not to take anything away from G7th but many firms have not realized that being mean spirited and making customers jump through hoops is usually counter-product.

"Jus give 'em a NEW fekker" should be the default. The goodwill generated is solid Gold.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:54 pm

blinddrew wrote:That's impressive. I've always been a fan of the Shubb capos but next time i'm in the market I may give them a look.

these are better
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:41 am

The one advantage that the Kyser has over all the others is that I know where it is, stuck on my headstock, otherwise I'd put it down and either I or the capo would wander off. That is more a design flaw in me rather than any capo.

G7 is pretty good but Shubb is equally capable, and more adjustable. However, they really don't do anything that the cheapo elastic variety doesn't already do perfectly well when set up properly.

Elsewhere I've posted a vid of Tim Eady and his Fantastic Elastic capo flying up and down the neck without missing a beat. Quite impressive and probably less than £5.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:16 am

Yeah, i like sprung capos for live work as they can sit on the headstock. I have no idea how many capos i've left on mic stands at the end of gigs, probably enough to mean that I've ended up losing money on a lot of those gigs!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby adrian_k » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Yep Keyser sprung capo is my go to. Schubb next. I have a G7 but don’t get on with it, so it’s the one i always lend out :)
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby ore_terra » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:47 am

shufflebeat wrote:G7 is pretty good but Shubb is equally capable, and more adjustable. However, they really don't do anything that the cheapo elastic variety doesn't already do perfectly well when set up properly.

well, they actually do something else: cheapo ones' strength is fixed by the spring and this can sometimes be too tight and slightly detune the guitar. with shubb and - most of all - G7 you set the tightness.

not that my ears are to picky for these microtuning thing, but for some folky folks it does make a difference.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:56 am

There's also a tendency in some of the cheaper designs to apply a side-pressure to the strings. The Shubbs (and I guess the G7th) are very good at only applying a downward force.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:09 pm

ore_terra wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:G7 is pretty good but Shubb is equally capable, and more adjustable. However, they really don't do anything that the cheapo elastic variety doesn't already do perfectly well when set up properly.

well, they actually do something else: cheapo ones' strength is fixed by the spring and this can sometimes be too tight and slightly detune the guitar. with shubb and - most of all - G7 you set the tightness.

not that my ears are to picky for these microtuning thing, but for some folky folks it does make a difference.

The tension on elastic capos is adjustable in steps as they have several holes in the bungee but it's pretty crude. I dislike Kyser type capos as the are very bulky and have no adjustment at all. Shubb for me most of the time but I did succumb to the elegance of Planet Waves 'NS Pro' capos for their light weight and low profile, especially the mandolin capo, I even modified one to be a guitar 'DADGAD' partial capo, and the 'coolness' compliments the Emerald X7.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:36 pm

@ ore_terra
@ blinddrew

Ah, but please don't disregard the "when set up properly".

Before these days of unlimited plenty when paying £20+ (up to 100s of £ ?????) for a capo seems a reasonable investment the "rubber band and a nail" was the only option available. There is a technique to using one without skewing the intonation which involves a slight lifting off of pressure to allow strings to settle but, to be honest, it's no more cumbersome that settling a G7, Shubb or Kyser, all of which suffer from the same issue to some extent. It might be argued that if I'm experiencing tuning issues with a G7 then I'm using it incorrectly. I would accept that and say exactly the same thing back with regard to any other design.

I consider myself to be one of those people who get annoyed by micro out-of-tune-ness and I tend to work with people who are similarly sensitive so I'm not minimising the issue.

I've owned all of these capos and used them for years at a time. The deal-maker for me is the practicality, not the beautiful engineering or elegant lines.

@ Sam, I've seen that before, that's clever.

Btw, I see you've got a big old hole in your plastic guitar there. You should be more careful where you rest your spliff.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:10 pm

shufflebeat wrote:Btw, I see you've got a big old hole in your plastic guitar there. You should be more careful where you rest your spliff.

No that's meant to be there, it's the ashtray :smirk:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:12 pm

That's why he's always got ash on his left leg from playing it on his knee.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:14 pm

No, that's from my vent act, the dummy smokes a spliff but I haven't taught him to use the ashtray yet...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster