You are here

Loop pedal question (boss rc3)

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Loop pedal question (boss rc3)

Postby michaelsangmang » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:52 am

I would like to play the guitar live and record a phrase into the pedal, say the 1st verse, and then stop recording at the end of that verse WITHOUT it playing back immediately so that I can continue playing the song and wait until the 2nd verse to start that phrase playing back. At which point I will be playing a different guitar part over it.

Is this possible with the rc-3 with an extensions footpedal somehow? If not, is there a pedal that will do this for me? Thanks!
michaelsangmang

Re: Loop pedal question (boss rc3)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:05 am

Yes, the extra footswitch socket let's you use two extra momentary footswitches. I have a single one connected to the ring connection to stop as I dislike the double press to stop when playing live. I believe any single momentary switch will work but you'll probably need a special cable.

WRT different pedals, The RC-30 has two footswitches as do the TC Ditto/DittoJam X2 and several others.

edit :- If you make your own footswitch (as I did) wire the switch between the ring and sleeve on the socket and any TRS-TRS lead will work.

I use my loopers for exactly the same purpose much of the time BTW.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby michaelsangmang » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:11 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yes, the extra footswitch socket let's you use two extra momentary footswitches. I have a single one connected to the ring connection to stop as I dislike the double press to stop when playing live. I believe any single momentary switch will work but you'll probably need a special cable.

WRT different pedals, The RC-30 has two footswitches as do the TC Ditto/DittoJam X2 and several others.

edit :- If you make your own footswitch (as I did) wire the switch between the ring and sleeve on the socket and any TRS-TRS lead will work.

I use my loopers for exactly the same purpose much of the time BTW.

Thank you very much. I'll look into that.
michaelsangmang

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:34 pm

Just to add, most (all?) looper pedals have the option to go either from record to play or record to overdub on a second press of the first footswitch so, If you want to go from recording a rhythm track straight into a lead solo (which I often do when playing Gypsy Jazz) you can set the looper up to oblige.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........