You are here

Amp simulator pedal to play guitar through home stereo?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Amp simulator pedal to play guitar through home stereo?

Postby Andyh 56 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am

If its only for home /office use. The Blackstar id range not too expensive. have reverb and do a far job of clean sounds. Higher up the price food chain the Yamaha thr series.
Andyh 56
Regular

Postby SecretSam » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:34 am

Vox amplug range is worth a look. Not a pedal, but cheap, sounds good, and probably won't blow up your hi-fi. Probably. The output can drive headphones.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Yes, they're great. Cheap as chips and fine for solo noodling with headphones. I have the Vox one and its emulation is surprisingly good.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 pm

The Elf wrote:Any of the Digitech RPxx(x) models would do a decent job as your 'by the sofa' friend. I've got a clutch of these, from the humble RP50 to the swanky RP1000 and I know them to be great devices. No, not as sophisticated as something like the Helix, but not as far behind as you'd think for the secondhand price.

I am finding these guys for $25. And they have amp modelling and speaker cabinet modeling and reverb. Cool! So this is going to cost me less than buying a small practice amp. What could go wrong?

Blown speakers? Hmmm. I'll set the compressor on the digitech and set the EQ to take out the bottom frequencies. That should help knock down big spikes that might damage the speakers.

Am I going to blow out my speakers?!? Anybody out there doing this?!?

I am playing jazz chord solos with a hollow body guitar, medium/low volume.

BTW this is a 90W per channel Sony receiver, Boston Acoustic bookshelf speakers and a powered 120 W Dayton Audio subwoofer.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:24 pm

ef37a wrote:
Holy Grail mate! But to be serious you need a pedal that delivers a 'speaker emulated' output.

Right, need to have speaker emulation. Thanks for that. Looks like the Digitech does have that.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:21 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:Am I going to blow out my speakers?!? Anybody out there doing this?!?

I am playing jazz chord solos with a hollow body guitar, medium/low volume.

Just bear in mind that 'medium/low volume' in the context of playing a live Solo guitar will produce peaks and transients very considerably louder than when playing mastered commercial music. Tread carefully at first, and avoid getting carried away!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:13 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:
The Elf wrote:Any of the Digitech RPxx(x) models would do a decent job as your 'by the sofa' friend. I've got a clutch of these, from the humble RP50 to the swanky RP1000 and I know them to be great devices. No, not as sophisticated as something like the Helix, but not as far behind as you'd think for the secondhand price.
I am finding these guys for $25.
Can I have a moment's gloat and say that I found my RP50 in a local charity shop for 50p?! I also found the PSU in the grab box and so paid a pound!

Watch your speakers, though. Home hifi does not an unleashed guitar expect!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:35 pm

So really, buy a practise amp.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:04 pm

Jazz guitar has a lot of LF energy if you follow the 'standard' technique of using the neck pickup and rolling off the tone completely. If you can do an 'Elf' and find something for 50p it's definitely worth a try but you could do a proof of concept with any non-true bypass guitar pedal and suitable lead. Jazz guitar is usually played clean so you may find you don't need amp sims just eq to get you in the ball park.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:30 am

RP50 is in. Plugged into the stereo
Wow! This things sounds great.

At first the sound was wrong, too much bass. Sounded like a guitar plugged into the stereo even though I was using the amp modeling.

But then I learned how to turn on the speaker emulation. You have to hold down the drum buttom WHILE you power it on and it turns on speaker emulation. That makes a huge difference. Now it sounds like a guitar amp.

Here are the amp/speaker model options from the Digitech RP50 manual

The following lists what cabinet accompanies each model:
b1-b9 – Blackface – 2x12 Cabinet
o1-o9 – Boutique – Vintage 4x12 Cabinet
r1-r9 – Rectifier – Vintage 4x12 Cabinet
H1-H9 – Hot Rod – British 4x12 Cabinet
t1-t9 – Classic Tweed – 2x12 Cabinet
C1-C9 – British Combo – 2x12 Cabinet
c1-c9 – Clean Tube – British 4x12 Cabinet
s1-s9 – British Stack – British 4x12 Cabinet
U1-U9 – Crunch – Vintage 4x12 Cabinet
G1-G9 – High Gain Tube – British 4x12 Cabinet
F1-f9 – Fuzz – British 4x12 Cabinet

I am very much partial to a c5 setting. Sounds sweet for jazz guitar.
A little compression (1) and some hall reverb. Flat EQ.

Thanks Elf. I would have never thought that this ugly 80s looking thing would sound so good.

No speakers blown. I looked at the cones and with the speaker emulation on, the woofers look normal.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:20 am

"No speakers blown. I looked at the cones and with the speaker emulation on, the woofers look normal."

Yes DC, the woofer will be in no danger from a standard sixer. The danger is to the tweeters if you go ape -**** with the levels and distortion but the emulation, if done properly, should avoid that.

Woofer cones will be launched if you try even modest levels of bass guitar. Of course "modest level" is in the ear and speakers differ hugely in their power handling capacity.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:27 am

DC-Choppah wrote:Thanks Elf. I would have never thought that this ugly 80s looking thing would sound so good.
I try to tell people, but most seem to think I'm deluded and politely ignore me. :lol:

Glad you took the chance and reaped the benefit. :thumbup:

The RP50's later cousins are worth grabbing too, if you can find them cheaply enough. The RP55 seems not as good, but maybe it's just the presets that aren't so well constructed. The RP500/1000 are very good indeed.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:29 pm

ef37a wrote:"No speakers blown. I looked at the cones and with the speaker emulation on, the woofers look normal."

Yes DC, the woofer will be in no danger from a standard sixer. The danger is to the tweeters if you go ape -**** with the levels and distortion but the emulation, if done properly, should avoid that.

Woofer cones will be launched if you try even modest levels of bass guitar. Of course "modest level" is in the ear and speakers differ hugely in their power handling capacity.

Dave.

The Sony stereo receiver sometimes shuts down and goes into 'protection' mode with the guitar plugged in.

Turning down the RP50 level setting for the patch below 80/100 is making the receiver happy. Once above 80/100 the receiver protects itself. The Rx has to be cranked up pretty high on its volume knob too. Something feels mismatched here.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Pat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Sorry for slight OT post but just reading the above, esp with reference to the transients caused by a guitar/bass live, even with a decent amp/speaker sim.

I assume this would also be a risk when tracking guitar bass parts too, so what is the best method here? Just to keep the volume down? Does it make a difference if using studio monitors rather than Hi Fi speakers?

Would it also be an issue when playing back raw unmastered work in progress tracks as some guitar/bass sounds may not use amp sims (glassy cleans etc)?

Thanks

Pat
Pat
New here

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:56 pm

Even at 80% level on the pedal the Sony receiver would go into protection mode sometimes.

But I found the problem.

I had been only using a mono output from the pedal and went into the right channel of the Sony. That left the Sony left input open and unterminated.

Then I ran a stereo output cable from the pedal and plugged into both LEFT and RIGHT inputs of the Sony. A few days now and not once has the receiver gone into protection mode.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext