You are here

What guitar strings are these?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

What guitar strings are these?

Postby Mikedaman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi,

I came across this guitar which had these strings that fascinated me. They were easy to fingerpick on and had great sound, but I just don't know what kind of strings they are.

I asked but the owner didn't know, some say it could be Electric guitar strings put on an acoustic guitar?

Here's a bad picture of them, but it's all I got... Image

Thank you very much!
Mikedaman

Re: What guitar strings are these?

Postby Kwackman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:10 pm

Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby al_diablo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:22 pm

From the picture I would say they're flatwound strings. If they were, the tone would be very mellow, with much less high end than usual, they would feel smooth under your fingers and there wouldn't be any squeaking when you changed position.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 pm

I'd say definitely not round wound like gypsy jazz strings or silk and steels. Might be flat wounds as al_diablo says but I think they might be half rounds, a sort of halfway house between round wounds and flat wounds https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/electric-guitar/xl-half-rounds/ Not used them but I'd guess they are brighter than flat wounds but smoother feel and less bright than round wound.

Jazz players usually use flat wounds on an archtop to help get a very mellow tone, I have them on mine, gypsy jazz guitars and strings have a different and distinctive tone with very prominent high mids to cut through in a loud venue, closer to a resonator to my ears than to a flat top but quite unique.

I'll try to remember to take a similar pic of the archtop and of my Selmer style gypsy jazz guitar for comparison tomorrow.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 pm

I use d'addario flat-tops on my acoustics but these look smoother than that (and not bronze) so I'm thinking Sam might be right with the half-rounds.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:23 am

These are Gypsy Jazz strings (round wound but with silver plated copper windings, no silk filler) :-

These are Ddadario Chromes flat wound :-

And, yes, I know both necks could do with some lemon oil and a fret polish :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mikedaman » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:35 am

Thanks alot guys, very very helpful!! :thumbup: :clap:

They sure look like the Ddadario ecg23 Chromes flat wound :bouncy:

I just ordered a pair, let's hope they feel great! :D :angel:
Mikedaman

Postby al_diablo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:32 pm

The best thing about chromes is they last forever!
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 pm

They do indeed*, they also have a distinctive (but differently distinctive to Argentines Gypsy Jazz strings) sound, very mellow, the winding wire is rectangular in profile so damps most of the highs unlike ground wound or half round strings where the windings are basically round but with part of the outer surface ground off so half rounds look like flat wounds but, presumably, sound brighter.

I have no idea how this is achieved and have not tried either so am only guessing at the sound but I can't be bothered to look into it tonight.

* Of course the usual reason for changing strings is because they have gone dead (i.e. lost their high end) due to a combination of 'string cheese'** and wear in the windings.

** Google "The String Cheese Incident"..... Great band......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster