You are here

Yamaha Silent Guitar

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Yamaha Silent Guitar

Postby Lineda Delas » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:20 am

Does anyone have any experience of Yamaha silent guitars, the nylon string version in particular? Thanks in advance.
Lineda Delas

Re: Yamaha Silent Guitar

Postby Wonks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:38 pm

It would help if you told us what you'd like to know about them. Are you thinking of buying one for practice (or even performance) and want to know how well they play/sound, or do you have one and have an issue with it?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:48 pm

Lineda Delas wrote:Does anyone have any experience of Yamaha silent guitars, the nylon string version in particular? Thanks in advance.

Not much, bit tried them a few times over the years and always liked them as playability and sound go.

However, I always thought them it a bit too expensive for something that's made with a lot of plastic... But if I found a used one at a good price, I would definitely get it.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 pm

Apparently work very well with the Tonedexter but if you're trying to save £ this is not the way to go.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:07 pm

I've been considering one for a while (steel rather than nylon). Having looked at a lot of videos I finally got one in my hands earlier this year. I'm looking at it for live use (remember when we could do that?) but my thinking was;

Playability (sitting down) - ok
Sounds - very good
Played on a strap - I didn't get chance to try but it concerns me. It felt quite neck heavy, as you might expect, and I'd want to test this before buying.
Price - I really can't make my mind up whether the £500+ is worth it, at least for me, as I'd probably only use it on three or four songs per night.

If I didn't have a reasonable acoustic guitar already then I'd probably go for this. As it is I'll probably stick with putting a mic on my Breedlove in the studio and using an acoustic sim on my electric for live.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SecretSam » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:09 pm

I've only ever poked around with one in a shop.

I concur: I would probably buy one if they cost 200 quid.

The only odd thing to me was the 3/8" output jack: I'd immediately replace that with a 1/4".
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:06 pm

SecretSam wrote:The only odd thing to me was the 3/8" output jack: I'd immediately replace that with a 1/4".

?

1/4" (6.3mm in new money) output on the one that I tried and according to the manual (this was the SLG200S). The aux in and headphone out are on 3.5mm mini jack.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Vox Gnus » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:15 pm

I owned a steel-string one for several years (SGS-110, I think), and it was great! Great action, stable tuning. Sounds fantastic through a Yamaha THR amp, which is great for recording via USB. That said, I don't play guitar much anymore, so sold it on to someone who could make better use of it.

It's not silent, by the way. Makes a similar noise to an unplugged electric, or thereabouts. Still, great for practicing in these lockdown times.
Vox Gnus
Poster

Postby SecretSam » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Music Wolf wrote:
SecretSam wrote:The only odd thing to me was the 3/8" output jack: I'd immediately replace that with a 1/4".

?

1/4" (6.3mm in new money) output on the one that I tried and according to the manual (this was the SLG200S). The aux in and headphone out are on 3.5mm mini jack.

It is quite possible that they have improved the design in the several years since I held one. The original blurb talked about them being intended for businessmen to keep up their practicing while travelling, and a consumer headphone output was all I could find on the ones I tried. I have been described as 'unobservant' on a number of occasions, though, so I might just be plain wrong.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:29 pm

Reading the reviews it would seem that Yamaha have addressed some of the concerns associated with the older models which were criticised for being a bit plasticky. It may be that the connections were also short of the mark on previous incarnations.

What appeals to me, aside from stage use, is that I don’t play acoustic anywhere as much as I should and this may, in part, be down to the fact that I often practice early in the morning before the family are up. Of course this could just be me trying to justify a purchase decision that I’ve already made.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:36 pm

As 3/8" is 1/8" larger than a normal 1/4" guitar jack socket, I think you've definitely got the size wrong and meant a 3.5mm jack socket, SecretSam.

A 2015 Guitarist review of the steel and nylon string silent guitars definitely shows a 1/4" jack at the rear, a 3.5mm headphone jack on the top and another 3.5mm jack underneath for an auxiliary input.

The original SLG100N manual also shows a 1/4" output jack at the rear, so it's always had one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:44 pm

MusicWolf, for a 'live in a rock band' acoustic I bought a Richwood Taylor GA style acoustic (cost me well under £100) and used it with a fisherman rare earth pickup, a modified sound hole bung and two (fairly) carefully cut blocks of wood wedged between the bridge plate and the back of the guitar. This reduced feedback issues to somewhere approaching 330 territory and very usable in a fairly loud country rock band. All completely reversible and when the band split I removed it all and sold it to a mate who still has it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby SecretSam » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:45 pm

Wonks wrote:As 3/8" is 1/8" larger than a normal 1/4" guitar jack socket, I think you've definitely got the size wrong and meant a 3.5mm jack socket, SecretSam.

A 2015 Guitarist review of the steel and nylon string silent guitars definitely shows a 1/4" jack at the rear, a 3.5mm headphone jack on the top and another 3.5mm jack underneath for an auxiliary input.

The original SLG100N manual also shows a 1/4" output jack at the rear, so it's always had one.

It's a fair cop, guv. And yes I meant the small one. 1/8 in old money ?
SecretSam
Frequent Poster