You are here

Fishman Triple Play vs GK3 & RMC Piezo in terms of Note Latency

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Fishman Triple Play vs GK3 & RMC Piezo in terms of Note Latency

Postby Jay Menon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 am

Also wondering, since the instrument I would primarily wish to use to drive a guitar synthesiser would be an acoustic guitar - the Godin Multiac Steel SA.

Given that acoustic guitars tend to have more high-frequency harmonics, is that likely to be less accurate than an electric guitar (or indeed a nylon string guitar) for driving a guitar synth?
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:28 am

MOF wrote:
That Fishman site is awful. I want to read about what's going on, not look at countless videos. And the text repeats the same info on numerous pages. I really can't be bothered with it.

I know I'm starting to sound like Arpangel here, but it doesn't inspire me with any confidence in the product.

I think some people are over thinking it, just because you don't know how it works doesn't mean you shouldn't trust it.
I don't understand how a CPU operates so many times per second, but it does, my iMac has a 4.2Ghz CPU, my Atari 1040 CPU operated at a mere 8Mhz, even that blows my mind, just counting up to one million would take many hours, yet in one second it dealt with 8 million instructions (that might not be entirely correct, it might not be one instruction for every CPU cycle but you get my drift).
So all I'd say to you is don't mistrust the Fishman triple play, either be convinced by their videos or go and demo one when you can and find out for yourself.
Incidentally there are software only versions to try before you buy such as https://migic.com/downloads and
https://www.jamorigin.com/products/

I only want to know what the latency is and what the output is via the USB connection. It's not much to ask .
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:36 am

No, that's true, if that's crucial you'll need to look elsewhere but then you come back to the latency issue with pitch recognition and samples.

I had the C9 Organ pedal for a while and while the sounds were very convincing I decided that the effort needed to change my playing style to get best out of them was too much so I sold it. You clearly have that issue sorted.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:01 pm

One of the tricks with guitar synth is to mix the synth with the guitar output as well. If you choose a guitar sound that is in the same ballpark is the synth you can trick the ears to miss the latency. You hear the guitar attack, but the synth takes over and provides the body of the sound.

Worth experimenting with different approaches to the guitar synth. The more you play one, the better you get at sidestepping the latency problem ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby arkieboy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Jay Menon wrote:For me it’s always been about playing piano/keyboard accompaniments to my vocals.

I also wonder if it might be worth changing the fifth and sixth strings to half the gauge and tuning them an octave higher - to reduce latency.
For example
6th String: 024
5th string: 018

Then assign a separate ‘sound’ to those two strings transposed an octave lower...?

Is the GR 55 any faster in terms of its tracking than the GR 33? I’m not in the least interested in the COSM amp modelling parts of the 55...

That’s a standard technique.

And no, the 55 is not appreciably faster than the 33. If at all. However the COSM acoustic guitar emulations can be quite useful live.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:42 pm

With the GR 33, you can string a guitar with say all 0.010"s and just pitch shift each string's the MIDI notes in the 33. Dave B's tried it (I suggested it to him) and it works. It obviously feels very strange, and you need to have the sound quite loud to drown out the wrongly pitched string noise (or use headphones) but it does reduce the low note latency considerably.

To do this properly you need to be able to fit a blank nut and cut the (identical sized) nut slots yourself. A matter of minutes if you've got the right tools.

I used a GR20 when I was actively using a guitar synth, and that didn't have that facility, but I now have Dave B's old GR33, so should try it. (Though the GR33 is a harder beast to set up with less direct access knobs, so I haven't really used it since acquiring it).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dave.P » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:43 pm

I have just finished a track all done with the FTP - the cheapo wired one. I understand the actual pickup is identical but you get less control over individual strings.
As has been said - you do need to keep in mind the actual instrument you are trying to emulate and keep that in mind when playing.
Too much of a scaredy to put a link up here but drop me a line if you want to have a listen.

For my modest budget I have to say I am more than happy - should perhaps have hung on and gone for the full wireless system though......
Dave.P
Poster

Postby forumuser911335 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:05 pm

Hey guys

This is a very interesting question. I found it while browsing the internet for a similar thread in the Audiobus forums, see [Pros and cons of different guitar to MIDI solutions (iOS Midi Guitar 2, Fishman Triple Play...)?](https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4093 ... y/p1?new=1).

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts over there (or here). :D
forumuser911335

Postby forumuser911335 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:09 pm

Oh, as we seem to have some people with a lot of experience/knowledge here... my biggest question is:

Will the Fishman Triple Play (WiFi or Connect version) be more accurate than iOS Midi Guitar 2, even when I cannot use the "Connect" iOS app (as I don't have an iPad, only an iPhone)? Thank you guys.
forumuser911335

Previous