You are here

Blowing out a tiny 2 inch speaker?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Blowing out a tiny 2 inch speaker?

Postby garrettendi » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:09 pm

I have a Vox AC-1 Rhythmvox, that I haven't played in ages!

I'd like to connect my distortion pedals, crank up the volume, and see how it copes!

Worst case scenario I'd be playing something like a BOSS HM-2 or MT-2 style pedals. If I maxed out these pedals and played the AC-1 at max volume, could I damage the 2 inch speakers?

Specs: 1 watt amp, 2 3-inch speakers of 4 ohms. 9v battery supply with about 52ma current draw.

Pedals are Behringer HM300 and Biyang Metal End King.

This is more of an experiment than anything else, and it's not the end of the world if something blows, but given the AC-1 is no longer in production I'd rather stay within safe tolerable means!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Blowing out a tiny 2 inch speaker?

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:14 pm

I can't speak for the Vox, but I had (possibly still have) a similar-sized small '80s Fender battery amp (it was probably a bit smaller) that I put drive pedals through. Sounded awful, but nothing broke.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Blowing out a tiny 2 inch speaker?

Postby garrettendi » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Great! I'll give it a belt this weekend, but I'll start with the amp volume at lowest and work up from there til I find a sensible volume!

And yes, this will no doubt sound awful! But hey, sometimes awful is awfully fun!

I'm sorry. I'll er... Get my coat.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)