You are here

Ibanez Session Man Volume Drop

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Ibanez Session Man Volume Drop

Postby KuatoLives » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:55 am

I recently bought a used Ibanez Session Man pedal and it drastically cuts the volume of my signal when I run through it, whether the effect itself is engaged or not. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?
KuatoLives
New here

Re: Ibanez Session Man Volume Drop

Postby Wonks » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:12 pm

What mode were you using - series or parallel? Or was the volume drop in both?

In series mode , the chorus is after the distortion, so the chorus level will affect the overall output level.

In parallel mode, the effect output volumes are independent of each other.

However, with bypass engaged, that shouldn't affect the output.

I'd open it up and check the state of the input and output jack sockets. They may be corroded. If you are using a battery, then corroded battery terminals can reduce the voltage the pedal sees.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby KuatoLives » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:18 pm

The volume drop is consistent whether in series mode, parallel mode, or without the effect even on. I'm using a power supply instead of a battery, and there's no battery acid leakage inside the pedal. I'll open it up and check the condition of the jacks.
KuatoLives
New here

Postby zenguitar » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:24 pm

You can find a manual here...

https://www.tonehome.de/ibanez/power-se ... on-man-ii/

It might be worth checking the trim pots in the battery compartment in case the delay level has been reduced too far. Other than that it might be worth taking the pedal to a decent technician. As a late 1980's pedal it should be pretty straightforward for any competent electronics tech to identify any faults and put them right.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby KuatoLives » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:30 pm

That's actually the Session Man II. I have the Session Man I, which mixes chorus and distortion. The trimpots inside mine adjust width and speed, so I don't think that should have anything to do with the issue, unfortunately.

If I'm not able to fix the issue myself, I'll definitely be taking it to a tech!
KuatoLives
New here

Postby Wonks » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:16 pm

I can't find a schematic for the pedal, but if it's like some other of the more complicated 10 series pedals, there's probably a dual op-amp package (possibly an NJM14580) that serves the input and output circuitry. This is the only chip that's common to both the effected and bypass signal paths. There are only a few resistors and capacitors associated with the operation of this chip, so it's likely that if it's not corroded jack terminals, then it's the op-amp or one of those other components at fault. So definitely repairable, if maybe not something you can do yourself.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby KuatoLives » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:44 pm

Alright, I opened up the pedal. The jacks are fully enclosed plastic so it's a little hard to see the condition, but when I shine a flashlight inside, they don't look great. Might be some corrosion in there.

Also, there are a couple of spots on the circuit board that look messed up. There's some brownish grime and what looks to be small chips in the traces. Both of these are right where an electrolytic capacitor is, if that means anything.

There's also a different electrolytic on another part of the board that looks like it has some pink paint on top. I don't know what the deal with that is, but it looks odd.
KuatoLives
New here