You are here

12 Volt Adapter for Eventide Space Pedal

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

12 Volt Adapter for Eventide Space Pedal

Postby KuatoLives » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:11 am

I recently got an Eventide PowerMAX pedal board power supply that allows me to run my Eventide Space at 12 volts. However, I moved Space to my effects loop and just have it sitting on my amp as an always-on effect, but I'm now using the stock 9-volt power adapter and am noticing that the pedal does not have as much headroom, even though I set it to line level. I want to find a standalone 12-volt power adapter for it. I found one at Jameco that is the correct polarity and plug size, and has 1000 mA, which is way more than the pedal needs. Would this work? Is there anything else I need to make sure is right for compatibility? Should I be checking on wattage?

https://www.jameco.com/z/DDU120100M2250 ... 53663.html
KuatoLives
New here

Re: 12 Volt Adapter for Eventide Space Pedal

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:54 am

KuatoLives wrote:I recently got an Eventide PowerMAX pedal board power supply that allows me to run my Eventide Space at 12 volts. However, I moved Space to my effects loop and just have it sitting on my amp as an always-on effect, but I'm now using the stock 9-volt power adapter and am noticing that the pedal does not have as much headroom, even though I set it to line level. I want to find a standalone 12-volt power adapter for it. I found one at Jameco that is the correct polarity and plug size, and has 1000 mA, which is way more than the pedal needs. Would this work? Is there anything else I need to make sure is right for compatibility? Should I be checking on wattage?

https://www.jameco.com/z/DDU120100M2250 ... 53663.html

As long as it has the correct polarity, and plug type, correct voltage and mA rating you should be fine. I don’t know why you’re getting this headroom issue though, I had a Space here for a few months, the stock transformer was fine, even though the Space has a line level switch, you still need to keep an eye on levels, especially if you’re using it on an aux send and return.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: 12 Volt Adapter for Eventide Space Pedal

Postby Wonks » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:09 am

The Eventide Space is a 9v pedal, so there's no reason why you should be running it at 12v. It's a digital pedal, so there's no extra headroom., it is what it is. You may be perceiving a different sound because it's now in a different place in the circuit, but it won't be down to having 9v PSU. You'll be running the internal voltage regulators much hotter than normal, which can result in premature failure. There's nothing in the manual about running the Space at 12v for greater headroom. If it is now in the effects loop, then you'll probably find it's the amp itself that is reducing the perceived 'headroom'. If the input clip light isn't coming on, then you've got plenty of input signal headroom.

Also the Eventide manual says the power connector is a 5mm barrel, not a 5.5mm barrel (like the PSU you liked to), so there's a risk it wouldn't fit. Most pedals use 5.5mm centre negative, whilst Eventide use centre positive. So Eventide may use a slightly smaller barrel to stop people plugging in the wrong polarity power connector (if the extra 0.5mm makes it too large for the hole). I'd use a digital caliper on the stock PSU barrel to double check that the manual's correct.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853