You are here

Pedals gone crazy....

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Pedals gone crazy....

Postby Arpangel » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:17 am

The Empress Zoia........
Is this exactly the opposite of what a pedal should be? This IS NOT a pedal, it’s an incredibly convoluted and complicated "effects unit" that should belong in a 19 inch rack with a decent display and interface.
I love the Empress Reverb, it’s one of the best out there, but this Zoia is almost a joke, sure the effects are great, but that interface is exactly the opposite of what I’d like a pedal to be, and goes against the whole point of pedals in general IMO.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Pedals gone crazy....

Postby al_diablo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:05 pm

I cant really see the point of it. It almost seems like a vanity project for the manufacturer - "look how complex we can make a pedal"
al_diablo
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:36 pm

I think you are intended more to go online and download the patches from other folks and try those out. Make a few of your own to contribute too, but mostly just load up others presets and play with them so you don't have to program it which is tedious.

To me all of the patches sound like ambient music.

I am still looking for a really good guitar synth that turns the guitar into a horn-like expressive instrument. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DxfuGI_DaM
But with a new sound palette.

Can the Zoia sing like this?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:24 am

DC-Choppah wrote:I think you are intended more to go online and download the patches from other folks and try those out. Make a few of your own to contribute too, but mostly just load up others presets and play with them so you don't have to program it which is tedious.

To me all of the patches sound like ambient music.

I am still looking for a really good guitar synth that turns the guitar into a horn-like expressive instrument. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DxfuGI_DaM
But with a new sound palette.

Can the Zoia sing like this?

I think the guitar synth is one of the most difficult things to get really good results out of, only two people have IMO, Pat Metheny, and Robert Fripp, check out Fripp's album Bewitched.
That Zoia is crazy, especially having to even set-up the input routing every time you make a sound. Even rack units aren’t as complex and convoluted as this.
But there will be lots of people into it, unfortunately, it’s not for me.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat May 02, 2020 12:42 am

Arpangel wrote:I think the guitar synth is one of the most difficult things to get really good results out of, only two people have IMO, Pat Metheny, and Robert Fripp, check out Fripp's album Bewitched.

Might I add Adrian Belew?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby 10K-DB Music » Sat May 02, 2020 11:15 pm

Sounds pretty complex,,Ive had my #DIGITECHRP10 for years,,and its all Ill need ,,very user friendly.
10K-DB Music
Poster
 Registered BMI writer. Live//Studio  performer.  Vocals//Bass/Guitars

Postby C-RAM » Sun May 03, 2020 12:53 am

I might be odd man out, here, but I want my guitars to sound like, well, guitars.

Admittedly, my own tastes have changed over the years, but I tend to see pedal usage as crazy!
C-RAM

Postby zenguitar » Sun May 03, 2020 1:20 am

C-RAM wrote:I might be odd man out, here, but I want my guitars to sound like, well, guitars.

I get that, but the problem is that the sound of the electric guitar is intimately entwined with FX pedals. And there's over half a century's worth of recordings of electric guitar that we can go back to and cherry pick whatever guitar sound we want, to use as our reference of what electric guitar sounds like.

Wilko Johnson with a Tele, a lead, and a Tweed. Perfection.
Robert Fripp with a Tokai, a Sustainer, and a rack. Perfection.
Stevie Ray Vaughan with a Strat, a Tube Screamer, and a Dumble. Perfection
Dave Gilmour with a Strat, a rack stuffed with pedals, and a Hi Watt. Perfection.

The list goes on (and on, and on, and on...), but you see my point. The guitar can be all of those things and more, and we can pick and mix whatever we want from that long list; that's precisely what makes it special.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby C-RAM » Sun May 03, 2020 3:38 am

zenguitar wrote:...there's over half a century's worth of recordings of electric guitar that we can go back to and cherry pick whatever guitar sound we want, to use as our reference of what electric guitar sounds like.

Oh, I absolutely agree. Personally, I think I lost my way at some point trying to emulate certain guitarists and the sounds or tones they were known for. It felt like starting over when I turned away from that way of thinking and began to attempt bringing out the essence of what makes the guitar appealing to me.

For me, that simply means string tone as pure and basic as I can make it - I tend to favor hollowbodies and solid-state amps with as much headroom as I can get. Probably not a very popular mindset. :)
C-RAM

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 03, 2020 6:46 am

C-RAM wrote:I might be odd man out, here, but I want my guitars to sound like, well, guitars.

Admittedly, my own tastes have changed over the years, but I tend to see pedal usage as crazy!

That’s why so few guitarists actually make a success out of using guitar synths, they are extremely difficult to use without sounding very cliched.
Hendrix used a few pedals, again, perfection. I believe he took the guitar to places that haven’t been exceeded since, he really did "the electric guitar" and nothing has been done after him that breaks new ground.
That statement may seem a bit extreme, but that’s how I feel about a Hendrix, AFAIC he was a gift from heaven, and he came out of the womb playing guitar.
He had that very rare combination, of deep Soul, and a technical ability that was just beyond, he didn’t even have to think about it. In fact, I can’t listen to his music these days, it’s way to emotionally upsetting, it’s just too powerful.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SecretSam » Sun May 03, 2020 10:42 am

I'm not sure Jimi Hendrix came out of the womb playing guitar. He had a career as a high level session player before he became deified, supporting the general theory that you only get good if you practice a lot.

However, I agree that he remains the greatest electric guitarist ever. A combination of technique and creativity (and soul if you like) that has never been equalled.

Hang on ... That's better.

You should only speak or post about Jimi Hendrix whilst kneeling.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 04, 2020 7:53 am

SecretSam wrote:Hang on ... That's better.

You should only speak or post about Jimi Hendrix whilst kneeling.

Hero worship is something to be avoided, I love Hendrix, and I agree with you, but, we mustn't under value our own talents "standing on the shoulders of giants" etc can be be very unproductive, you have to see yourself as a giant too. But music isn’t a competition.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)