You are here

Fret buzz after changing strings on acoustic

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Fret buzz after changing strings on acoustic

Postby aekoi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 pm

I recently changed the strings on my nephew's acoustic guitar (model is Sigma GME+). Ever since, there has been a fret buzz when fretting the second and third frets of the top E, B and D strings. The new strings were EB Earthwood 11 to 52.

Is it possible that these new strings are a different gauge, and have caused the appearance of this fret buzz?
aekoi
Regular

Re: Fret buzz after changing strings on acoustic

Postby resistorman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:37 pm

Yes.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby aekoi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:06 pm

resistorman wrote:Yes.

I'm not familiar with the string gauges that acoustics come with 'out the shop', but would a restring with either lighter or heavier strings reduce this fret buzz. (This was the first string change the guitar has had since new.)

And allow me to anticipate: if you're sticking to one word answers for the rest of the day, then a reply stating either 'lighter' or 'heavier' would be more useful than most other one word reponses.
aekoi
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Shame to waste a good set of strings.

Sight down the neck and see if a slight back bow has developed (remember, even if the new string gauges are the same as the old, different construction and materials can result in a change of tension).

If you have a slight back bow, a tweak to the truss rod should be enough to sort it. If you are confident, I would suggest loosening by 1/8th of a turn, retuning, letting rest for a few hours, and then checking again. If good, fine, if still a slight buzz, repeat and test again.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm

zenguitar wrote:Shame to waste a good set of strings.

Sight down the neck and see if a slight back bow has developed (remember, even if the new string gauges are the same as the old, different construction and materials can result in a change of tension).

If you have a slight back bow, a tweak to the truss rod should be enough to sort it. If you are confident, I would suggest tightening by 1/8th of a turn, retuning, letting rest for a few hours, and then checking again. If good, fine, if still a slight buzz, repeat and test again.

Sorry Andy, but if we're looking at back-bow, wouldn't you want to loosen the truss rod?

Back to the OP, the other thing just to consider is that sometimes new strings (with their added brightness) might highlight a bit of buzz that was there before but much less noticeable.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby zenguitar » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:57 pm

You are indeed right drew, I was rushing and thinking about how to explain without double checking.

I've edited my original post but left the quote in your post unedited as a penance :)

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:02 pm

aekoi wrote:
resistorman wrote:Yes.

I'm not familiar with the string gauges that acoustics come with 'out the shop', but would a restring with either lighter or heavier strings reduce this fret buzz. (This was the first string change the guitar has had since new.)

And allow me to anticipate: if you're sticking to one word answers for the rest of the day, then a reply stating either 'lighter' or 'heavier' would be more useful than most other one word reponses.

Haha I suppose resistorman replied that way because you had already answered your own question.

It's not that lighter or heavier strings reduce buzz, but is a neck (in a specific season) is set up to work with a specific gauge. So if you change the gauge, you have to adjust the neck. Wood also changes a little bit shape with the temperature so often it pays off to check the setup when temperature changes a lot - like hard winters going into warm summers. Depends a bit on where you live.

Also make sure you have an humidifier in the case with the guitar - without, the neck itself may shrink a little and you can feel the frets on the sides (and in cheaper guitars, they can even go a little out of whack)

How to set up, the best is google your way to knowledge, and ask Zen for advice if there's something you don't get :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby aekoi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Thank you guys, firstly for taking the time to use full sentances, but mostly for offering these helpful suggestions. I will examine the neck as you suggest. Thank again.
aekoi
Regular

Postby Wonks » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:50 pm

Case humidifiers are pretty much a waste of time in the UK as we rarely get extremes of temperature and humidity and air conditioning in homes is still very rare. I've never noticed any humidity or temperature related problems with my acoustics, which generally get stored in cases in the house.

Most acoustics get sent out from the factory with a set of 12s. So 11s are a bit lighter and the neck can straighten a bit. It's a bit unusual for an acoustic to have such a low action that a small change in neck curve causes strings to buzz, unless the truss rod had already been adjusted to give a flat neck, or even a slight back bow. So definitely have a look at the curvature.

It's not buzzing on the first fret, so it's not due to the slightly thinner strings sitting lower in the nut slots.

But the buzzing may also be down to a couple of high frets or a slightly twisted/warped neck.

But one thing at a time.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby resistorman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Jeez.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:07 am

resistorman wrote:Jeez.