You are here

Slightly tarnished high-E string

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Slightly tarnished high-E string

Postby shufflebeat » Tue May 05, 2020 2:29 pm

garrettendi wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:You're changing them anyway so don't fret too much about it [comedy trumpet sound].

Wah wah wahhhh

Tune in next week, thank you and goodnight!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Music Wolf » Tue May 05, 2020 3:53 pm

garrettendi wrote:
Kwackman wrote:
garrettendi wrote:I use Regular Slinkies :thumbdown:
Ernie Ball sell single "10" strings, available in several places including on-line

Aha! I did not know that!

And you'll be happy to learn that, unlike toilet rolls and hand sanitiser, guitar strings are not being rationed during lockdown meaning that you can buy two sets so that, next time your guitar needs restringing, you won't have an excuse not to ;)

Oh, and having a new guitar (or a new baby) is no excuse for not playing your Telecaster for six months. Since it's a first offence we'll allow you to go on a 'Telecaster Awarness Course' rather than face a fine and points on your guitarist's licence. Don't let it happen again.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Tue May 05, 2020 3:55 pm

My wife isn't an electric player but she pretty much said the same thing last night. I was going to get my new guitar setup for Drop-C so she suggested that to encourage me to play the Telecaster more, have that one be my Drop-C axe, then I have reasons to play both.

I married me a keeper!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby MOF » Tue May 05, 2020 5:43 pm

the high E is also known as the first string and it's the highest pitched/thinnest string.

That seems wrong to me (though I know you’re correct), the string closest to you, the first one you’ll strike when playing a chord is number six, should be number one in my book.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Tue May 05, 2020 5:50 pm

MOF wrote:
the high E is also known as the first string and it's the highest pitched/thinnest string.

That seems wrong to me (though I know you’re correct), the string closest to you, the first one you’ll strike when playing a chord is number six, should be number one in my book.

It always bemuses me. 'Top' or 'High' E would, to me, suggest highest pitch but to others it would mean furthest from the floor (as in 'top shelf'). I have a similar confusion regarding the five blade switch on a Strat. Is position #1 the bridge or the neck pickup? I think that I'm aligned with Fender (1 = bridge) but I've heard other people talk about it the other way around.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 05, 2020 6:15 pm

Music Wolf wrote:
MOF wrote:

It always bemuses me. 'Top' or 'High' E would, to me, suggest highest pitch but to others it would mean furthest from the floor (as in 'top shelf'). I have a similar confusion regarding the five blade switch on a Strat. Is position #1 the bridge or the neck pickup? I think that I'm aligned with Fender (1 = bridge) but I've heard other people talk about it the other way around.

You know, I haven't given it a thought for years (probably 40+) 'cos it just 'is' :smirk: the highest pitched/thinnest string is the top E/1st string...... Just how it is......

Just thinking about it maybe from a fiddle players perspective it's 1st- 4th left to right when they are holding/playing the instrument?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Wed May 06, 2020 12:05 am

Harp.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 am

Angel...... Oops, sorry, wrong thread :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous