You are here

Do I need my guitar set up for drop D?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Do I need my guitar set up for drop D?

Postby BigRedX » Thu May 07, 2020 12:58 pm

From a personal PoV I can't get on with drop D without replacing the low E string with something slightly heavier to compensate for the reduction in tension. Consequently I have two guitars, one for standard tuning an one for drop D.

As for needing a set up as zen guitar says it depends. However I know plenty of guitarists who switch between standard tuning and drop D on the same guitar during the course of a set and you don't see any of them getting a set up between songs!

And when it come to the truss rod, I see far to many guitarists and bassists who are constantly fiddling with theirs after the slightest change in weather conditions. Personally the only times I have adjust the truss rod on any of my instruments is:

1. When a new (to me) instrument has arrived with completely wrong amount of relief for my taste.
2. When I have changed strings to ones with a very different tension.
3. When I have bought an instrument that has previously been in a part of the world with a very different climate to that of the UK.

Other than that I can live with the tiny changes in relief caused by the mild UK climate. If I lived somewhere more extreme I might have a different PoV.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Wonks » Thu May 07, 2020 1:22 pm

You'll get more variation in tension by changing to a different brand of the same gauge strings, as you would just dropping the low E to a D.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu May 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Time for some graphite to see if that helps.
Thanks Andy.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby shel96 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:43 pm

I never set up my guitar for Drop D. And it works fine. Setup is needed for low tuning and when you change for different gauge strings.
shel96
New here

Previous