You are here

Two stupid questions about overdrive

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Two stupid questions about overdrive

Postby SecretSam » Sun May 24, 2020 10:39 am

Question 1
Every fashionable overdrive reviewed on the internet is praised for having a sound like an overdriven tube amp. So why not just turn up the gain and turn down th the master volume ? Two flicks of the wrist and your sound will be, err, exactly like an overdriven tube amp.

Question 2
The Klon Centaur is praised for its transparency. So why not just get a secondhand channel strip for 100 quid and save a couple of thousand dollars ?
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Re: Two stupid questions about overdrive

Postby CS70 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:52 am

Because people like chasing dreams!.. and think that it’s gear doing the work. :)

For the overdrive, what matters to me is the pedal form, even if I can switch channels on the amp with a foot control, I’m nit gonna velcro it to the pedal board. So a pedal to boost input gain is useful.

Then of course there’s people who don’t have tube pedals..

As of the Klon, good pedal but also a perfect example of human gullibility, you ask me.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Sun May 24, 2020 10:57 am

As ever... Wizard's First Rule.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby SecretSam » Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 am

Well, I'm glad I haven't missed anything obvious.

Except Wizard's First Rule.

That sound vaguely Pratchettian. Please enlighten me Elf.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am

The first overdrive I built for a mate was based on a 741 op amp and two OA91 diodes :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

From the book by Terry Goodkind.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby SecretSam » Sun May 24, 2020 12:18 pm

Oh, the other Terry. I haven't read him, and I have some time on my hands, obviously. With which one should I start?
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Sun May 24, 2020 12:23 pm

Folderol wrote:The first overdrive I built for a mate was based on a 741 op amp and two OA91 diodes :lol:

I wish I was clever enough to know what the phuq you are talking about.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 24, 2020 1:28 pm

SecretSam wrote:Question 1
Every fashionable overdrive reviewed on the internet is praised for having a sound like an overdriven tube amp. So why not just turn up the gain and turn down th the master volume ? Two flicks of the wrist and your sound will be, err, exactly like an overdriven tube amp.

Because they're supposed to sound like overdriven power valves* turning down the master reduces the drive to the power valves and, in many less well designed valve amps, the preamp overdrive doesn't sound good at all, even in good ones it doesn't usually sound anything like power valve overdrive.

* Not that they actually do but that is often the sound they are trying to emulate, more specifically that of a Marshall 100 watt stack on full chat. ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shel96 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:08 pm

I love overdrive. But I don't use it to get a great tube amp sound. I love it because it can boost sound, clean or dirty, and makes it more focused, tight. my favorite is Ibanez TS9. Unfortunately, it broke down and my friend suggested Maxon OD808 and it is the second favorite. This is a great article about that pedal.
https://www.awkwardsound.com/maxon-reis ... ve-review/
shel96
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 24, 2020 3:22 pm

I have a '70s TS9 and, amongst others, a TC Vintage Dual Overdrive which is supposed to be two TS9s in a single pedal. Not sure it's identical but it is very nice.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Because they're supposed to sound like overdriven power valves* turning down the master reduces the drive to the power valves and,

The fun thing, I never see many people using actual power valve distortion south of the 2000s, apart maybe some stadium-size acts a-la-Joe Bonamassa?

I mean I've tried many times and it's fun but with anything bigger than a few watts you've gotta place it really far to avoid overwhelming everything else (including your ears) and mic it... even my Tiny Terror in 7 watts mode with the 4x12, it was bursting ears.

Preamp distortion is not so different in principle? I mean you have a tube as gain device and you go over its headroom, so all kind of unexpected things start to happen. The same happens with the power stages - what happens is a bit different for each amp because by definition you're working outside of the performance envelope, but mostly it's simply damn louder (and distorted).

Maybe the trick is just that - louder is always better? :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Sun May 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have a '70s TS9

Bloody amazing! You have a pedal from at least 3 years before it officially hit the shops. Must be worth a fortune! :D

My TS808 is a 1981 model.

Na na, na na na. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby SecretSam » Sun May 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Always good to have an original. As true for gear as it is for oil paintings.

Here's the Wampler bloke on what makes the different TS models sound different from each other:

https://youtu.be/3c5Ar-iaWRE
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Wonks wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I have a '70s TS9

Bloody amazing! You have a pedal from at least 3 years before it officially hit the shops. Must be worth a fortune! :D

My TS808 is a 1981 model.

Na na, na na na. ;)

Bloody smartass wabbit.... that's what the guy who gave it me said..... serves me right for not googling before posting..... :oops:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next