You are here

Extra volume pot on acoustic guitar

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Extra volume pot on acoustic guitar

Postby Datrax » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi,
I would like to build in an extra volume pot in a guitar with build in active EQ/volume. The pot in the EQ unit is very small en not quickly reachable. So I plan to dril a hole and install a "normal" volume pot/knob between the unit and the output jack. Question:
Can I use a regular 500 or 250K pot or a low resistance 25K? Or/and a treble bleed cicuit?
Does it work with the active system of the guitar?
Thanks in advance!
Regards, Joop
Datrax

Re: Extra volume pot on acoustic guitar

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:48 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums.

As you want to place the additional volume pot after the pre-amp, you need the the 25k pot. And no need for a treble bleed circuit as again you are working post pre-amp.

However, I would suggest you think twice before drilling a hole in the body. It's not something that can be reversed. Have you considered a volume pedal instead? You can get them with a suitable 25k pot and can often be easier to use than a volume knob on the guitar.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Folderol » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:04 pm

+1 on the volume pedal. Highly under-rated addition.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby resistorman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:31 am

+2 for volume pedal! Don’t drill. Unless it’s a really cheap and crappy guitar maybe...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:21 am

+3 for the pedal - most footpedals for synth use should be fine in this case (they typically contain pots somewhere between 10k and 50k, and while those values would load a passive guitar, will be fine after your preamp).

Honestly, drilling a hole in any guitar could render it largely worthless.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Wonks » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 am

Can you tell us why you want a more accessible volume pot? Do you want to change volume mid-song, or is it for turning the guitar level off in between songs? Just wondering whether a volume pot/pedal is the best option fir your needs.

Otherwise, have you considered making a wider/taller cap to fit over the existing volume pot knob? Something with a grub screw to hold it in place, or maybe a soft rubber sleeve. Even some rubber or PVC tubing of the right diameter slipped over it could make it a lot easier to use and not change the guitar at all.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Datrax » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:41 pm

Wow guys, thanks! Much appreciated!

And no, I would not drill a hole in my 1986 Ovation custom legend :D It's for a remarkably well sounding en playing Stagg and is a matter of function over form.

Wonks wrote: "Do you want to change volume mid-song, or is it for turning the guitar level off in between songs?" It's exactly that, both and tuning. Less cables and no need to be where the volume pedal is.

Then again, you made me think things over. Maybe I should decide for a pedal so it's handy if I change guitar. For this guitar again Wonks idea for a knob-extention is super! Gonna do that. And I will go for the pedal. :thumbup: Probably the active Mooer Leveline volume pedal
So bottomline: no drilling!

Thanks again,
Joop
Datrax

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:47 am

Datrax wrote:So bottomline: no drilling!

Hooray! ;)

Martin
Martin Walker