You are here

Question about Boss RC-3 pedal, aux and guitar at same time?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Question about Boss RC-3 pedal, aux and guitar at same time?

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:10 pm

I am considering the Boss RC-3 Looper pedal for a project, but I have not been able to get an answer to this question:

https://www.boss.info/us/products/rc-3/

When you plug in a stereo aux source, and a stereo guitar source, do BOTH of these signals come out of the looper pedal outputs? Are they mixed together and recorded?

The specs seem to say that it is one OR the other. I am trying to avoid having to add a stereo mixer in front of the pedal to do what I seek.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Re: Question about Boss RC-3 pedal, aux and guitar at same time?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:54 pm

I used a mono guitar source and output to test but the aux input is recorded along with the live input to the loop and both are mixed in the output from the RC-3

HTH
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:11 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I used a mono guitar source and output to test but the aux input is recorded along with the live input to the loop and both are mixed in the output from the RC-3

HTH

Thanks man! Glad to know.

I did send a note to Boss but never got a response.

Really appreciate you testing that for me.

Gonna order one up.

DC
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:09 am

It's a neat little pedal (it lives in my Emerald X7 gig bag) but I have made a second footswitch for it as I can't work with the double press to stop a loop. Easy to do but you need a special cable as the switch needs to be connected between the ring and sleeve of the socket in the RC-3.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hewesy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:24 pm

If it helps, presuming it is the same, I use a Yamaha keyboard sustain pedal for the aux pedal on my RC2. FC5 I think.

Dead cheap and you can easily shorten the cable if needed.

Very tactile to use and almost silent.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Interesting, I had been using my RC-30 with an external twin footswitch so assumed that, because the stop switch was wired to the ring, it wouldn't work with a TS cable and single footswitch. I made a special TRS-TS cable with the tip of the TRS OC and the ring connected to the tip of the TS. I had not accounted for Boss designers being a step ahead and a simple TS-TS lead works just fine. Now if I had read the manual it would have been explained to me but you know how it is :oops:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:28 pm

:) I'll be honest the FC5vwas recommended to me years back on a looper forum so I cannot take credit!

I don't use tap on mine but I gather it should work- at least on the RC2.

I did get an FS7 for it but that's now running on my amp for channels and reverb. Now that WAS painful as for my amp it only works with power applied.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:06 pm

I never even tried a TS connected single footswitch on the RC-3 until today as I assumed it wouldn't work. I was wrong...... It seems any single non-latching (normally open, I think) switch will work and no need for special cables.

I have a TC Voicelive Play which accommodates a three pedal footswitch on a single TRS-TRS lead. It never occurred to me that that could work until I looked into it and added an extra switch to a double one I built a while ago.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:38 pm

I have the pedal. 8-)

BTW, here is what I am doing. This is pretty cool actually. I can track soloists from their home, using a small package that I send through the mail.

The input is a file played on their iphone and is the cue mix for a track, a 2 measure lead in, 2 verses and a chorus to solo over for example.

But the cue mix is all on the left channel, while the soloist is all on the right.

With the pedal, the soloist takes a bunch of solos and stores them in the pedal. These are comps. The pedal output goes to a Y-cord that converts the whole thing to mono, but then splits to a L an R signal that plugs into a stereo headphone. That way the soloist monitors through their headphones, and hears both sounds in mono.

I also have a little in-line mic preamp, battery powered, so the soloist can plug the mic into the pedal for horns.

So I am planning to send this little simple package in the mail. They set it up, I email them the link to the cue mix, they record a bunch of takes for their solo, or their part for the whole song, and send it all back. The cool thing is that they can replay the take through the pedal to hear it, and delete the takes they don't like. It is very very simple to operate the pedal for them.

It's just this pedal, a few cables and a mic. They have their own iphone and headphone.
All battery operated.

I get 5 comps, and edit together a song.

Cool!!

I am hoping I can perfect this as I am dealing with lot of musicians who don't have the technical chops to record themselves but can play a mean horn or sing etc., once you put them in a musical context like this.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:56 pm

That's a brilliant concept, but I wish you'd mentioned it before as the TC Wiretap pedal might even have been a better solution and even has it's own iPhone app.

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Guitar/Stompboxes/WIRETAP-RIFF-RECORDER/p/P0CM1#googtrans(en|en)

Downsides, it doesn't have a battery, and it doesn't have a mic in (but neither does the RC-3).

Upsides, it's only £49.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Cool!

Wiretap is not stereo though. When it records a new sound on top of the original sound, do you get two files? That would work.

But if it records and stores the overdub as one new file then this wouldn't work.

I use the RC-3 as dual mono, and I put the cue mix left and the soloist right. So I get the two tracks separated but synchronized. That allows me to align the soloist back into the DAW properly since everyone gets the same cue mix to play to.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:49 pm

You're right, the Wiretap is mono and records what you put in with every new take as a separate file. I assumed you were't recording the cue mix but even so so you'd have to align the tracks manually.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:17 am

Right.

By recording the cue mix on the Left Channel of the RC-3, i get back the cue mix file along with the soloist's file on the right side. It's a 2-track recorder.

I can align the cue mix with itself back in the DAW and the soloist comes along with it.

The all-battery feature is cool. I just got back some tracks where solos were record outside along the cliffs of a river. The ambiance is cool.

It's pandemic music man!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:39 am

Sounds like a great project. I hope you'll post some links when you have some finished track. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster