You are here

Guitar based bands are boring.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Guitar based bands are boring.

Postby CS70 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:25 am

Indeed focus. Improvisation, whatever method or idea is based from, is like talking - it does require practice, and a lot of it.

And boy, yes, Bach was an amazing improviser apparently - the Musical Offering is a case in point, being a "studio" reworking of improvisations on czar Frederick's theme.

Too bad there weren't video cameras at that time..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:43 am

SecretSam wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I find classically trained musicians ( I am one, but I dropped out) very much ingrained in a certain way of thinking, and a lot find it very difficult to improvise, and the opposite to what you said, they can’t play in the moment, or respond, to the moment.

I think that's down to the priorities in different types of music education, rather than mindset.

Among my peer group, the jazz students were taught a lot of music theory, and how to use it in an improvisational setting. They also learned vocabularies of phrases that worked over common chord progressions, interesting chord/scale relationships, and how not to get stuck in common improvisational dead-ends.

Classical students had more focus on technique, reading, memory and historically-appropriate ways of interpreting music of different periods.

All musicians need all of these things, but they are taught in different proportions in different traditions. Back in the days of Mozart and Bach, the musicians we now call 'classical' were very strong improvisers.

I found the classically trained people in my band were amazing at free-improv, in fact, their advanced technique brought a lot to our brand of the genre that made it a bit different from everyone else, the more the merrier in my view.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:52 am

#2 son is a french horn player, he came up through music A level, a Bmus degree from RNCM and an MA from the Royal College of Music and now plays in (i.e. full time salaried job) a symphony orchestra in China. He's also a decent bass player and a talented arranger. But, he can't improvise/busk and has little interest in doing so.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:52 pm

I sometimes suspect that if I was a better musician and could play much better music I wouldn't feel the need to create my own! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:57 pm

He does compose stuff, though not so much, but it's the improv he can't do, he has to work it all out first.

TBH I'm not a writer, I play almost exclusively covers but I do like to steer clear of mainstream where possible, There are a hundred bands near me playing "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Mustang Sally" so I try not to, but if I really like a song I'll make an exception. Otherwise it's finding good songs by other writers that people haven't heard of yet (hence me asking if you minded if I did "Words").
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:19 pm

Oh I can guarantee you no-one has heard of that! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Well I have...... Did I mention that I liked it?

Others that I do or have on the list include this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7eVJQEQoJQ and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKwwX55peAc
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 pm

I struggle with Joan Armatrading. She was a studio guest on a radio show many years ago which my friends fledgling band played live on. It wasn't a stellar performance by the band (the singer didn't show) but neither was it awful. She was quite rude and took a couple of cheap shots at the band. I've found it hard to warm to her since.
You might say that I couldn’t possibly comment (best line from House of cards) :D , in a way I’m being serious, if the singer didn’t show and yet she did. Let’s not go there, but they do say you shouldn’t meet your heroes and yet I did and found him (Macca) to be very down to earth and pleasant.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:53 pm

Or maybe that half of shandy I had before the 'gig' was off!
:lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:54 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Others that I do or have on the list include this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7eVJQEQoJQ and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKwwX55peAc
Cheers, will give them a listen later.
And thank you. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:57 pm

I found Joan Armatrading's attitude to her band a little odd, she said she doesn't work with the same musicians for long, sacks the band and replaces them every year or so, so they don't influence her originality. I do get it in a way but it smacks of insecurity more than a real problem.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:29 am

MOF wrote:
I struggle with Joan Armatrading. She was a studio guest on a radio show many years ago which my friends fledgling band played live on. It wasn't a stellar performance by the band (the singer didn't show) but neither was it awful. She was quite rude and took a couple of cheap shots at the band. I've found it hard to warm to her since.
You might say that I couldn’t possibly comment (best line from House of cards) :D , in a way I’m being serious, if the singer didn’t show and yet she did. Let’s not go there, but they do say you shouldn’t meet your heroes and yet I did and found him (Macca) to be very down to earth and pleasant.
The singer didn't show so the guitarist (my mate) took over the vocals. He was a perfectly good singer but obviously they hadn't rehearsed as a 3 piece so it was less polished than usual. She was already an established star & it was their first live radio performance. Maybe, as suggested, she was insecure but she just came across as childish & rude. The drummer & bassist went on to record a million seller with another band so they can't have been that bad!
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
'Cause the law don't change another's mind

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:Maybe, as suggested, she was insecure but she just came across as childish & rude. The drummer & bassist went on to record a million seller with another band so they can't have been that bad!

I wasn't excusing her rudeness Mike. There is no need for such, especially if you are successful.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Johnsy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: There are a hundred bands near me playing "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Mustang Sally"

How does it sound?
Johnsy
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:49 pm

LOUD (and slightly discordant) :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous