You are here

Guitar based bands are boring.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Guitar based bands are boring.

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:10 pm

The thing is, if you say something like this:
Arpangel wrote:my music collection is all from the past, I don't buy music anymore,
Then saying something like this:
Arpangel wrote:Guitar based bands are boring.
Is really asking for trouble! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:54 pm

I used to think I hated classical music. Turns out I just don't like a full orchestra. I'll take a string quartet over a full orchestra every time.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
'Cause the law don't change another's mind

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:37 pm

I used to think I hated classical music. Turns out I just don't like a full orchestra. I'll take a string quartet over a full orchestra every time.
Being up close to a full string section takes a lot of beating. Were you talking about recorded or live orchestras?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:10 pm

blinddrew wrote:The thing is, if you say something like this:
Arpangel wrote:my music collection is all from the past, I don't buy music anymore,
Then saying something like this:
Arpangel wrote:Guitar based bands are boring.
Is really asking for trouble! :D

OK, let’s avoid trouble, but the words guitar, past, and boring, do tend to go together, at the risk of being pedantic, I did buy a CD a few months ago, as mentioned, and it didn’t feature a single guitar.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:19 pm

MOF wrote:
Being up close to a full string section takes a lot of beating. Were you talking about recorded or live orchestras?
Both but mostly recorded. My greatest classical experience was an evening spent listening to Bach in the pantheon in Rome. It wasn't a concert, just the organist practicing. The place was empty and the acoustics were sublime.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:52 pm

Guitar bands?
Just stumbled on this.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Agharta » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:I used to think I hated classical music. Turns out I just don't like a full orchestra. I'll take a string quartet over a full orchestra every time.
I can resonate with that.
I don't hate orchestras but they usually sound a bit busy/fussy/dense to my ears.
I used to be rather a fan of the Schubert Trout Quintet. (No fish were harmed in the recording of the CD I hasten to add).
I went to hear it played in a major venue in London and that left me cold much to my surprise.
It reminded me of when I heard The Blue Nile at The Dominion.
Both lacked passion in concert.
Hardly a surprise with The Blue Nile as they were a studio only bad for ages.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Folderol wrote:Guitar bands?
Just stumbled on this.
... and I've just finished watching it. That was a great documentary :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Can you please get this correct, wer'e talking about a paying "customer''' not "customers"
:D
I understand, exclusive multi-million pound gigs for high nett-worth individuals. ;) :shh:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:04 pm

I don't hate orchestras but they usually sound a bit busy/fussy/dense to my ears.
Try Joan Armatrading’s Love and Affection, lovely deep cellos and double basses, mostly just sustained notes but not the aural equivalent of polyfiller.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:07 pm

I went to hear it played in a major venue in London and that left me cold much to my surprise.
That can be down to the venue, too little or too much reverb and your position relative to the orchestra.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:32 pm

MOF wrote:
Try Joan Armatrading’s Love and Affection, lovely deep cellos and double basses, mostly just sustained notes but not the aural equivalent of polyfiller.
It would have to be a pretty bad arrangement to spoil that song. :thumbup:

MOF wrote:
That can be down to the venue, too little or too much reverb and your position relative to the orchestra.
I would hope that one of London's top venues for Classical Music on the South Bank wouldn't be that bad!
I put it down to the audience being soulless so all the life was sucked out of the room.
Or maybe that half of shandy I had before the 'gig' was off!
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:48 pm

MOF wrote:
I struggle with Joan Armatrading. She was a studio guest on a radio show many years ago which my friends fledgling band played live on. It wasn't a stellar performance by the band (the singer didn't show) but neither was it awful. She was quite rude and took a couple of cheap shots at the band. I've found it hard to warm to her since.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:21 am

Twice I’ve had the privilege of sitting in the orchestra pit surrounded by the players as they performed The Nutcracker. They were a top notch orchestra and my mind was totally blown every time by the performance as well as the craft of the music. Being surrounded by the arrangement was the ultimate in surround sound. An orchestra performing the work of a gifted composer/arrranger/orchestrator is quite the thing.
I know to many of you this may not be a surprise, but I have had so little opportunity to hear classical live, and fewer opportunities to write for orchestra. I mention all this because in the right context orchestra can be a source of profound inspiration.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SecretSam » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:00 am

Arpangel wrote:I find classically trained musicians ( I am one, but I dropped out) very much ingrained in a certain way of thinking, and a lot find it very difficult to improvise, and the opposite to what you said, they can’t play in the moment, or respond, to the moment.

I think that's down to the priorities in different types of music education, rather than mindset.

Among my peer group, the jazz students were taught a lot of music theory, and how to use it in an improvisational setting. They also learned vocabularies of phrases that worked over common chord progressions, interesting chord/scale relationships, and how not to get stuck in common improvisational dead-ends.

Classical students had more focus on technique, reading, memory and historically-appropriate ways of interpreting music of different periods.

All musicians need all of these things, but they are taught in different proportions in different traditions. Back in the days of Mozart and Bach, the musicians we now call 'classical' were very strong improvisers.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

PreviousNext