You are here

Hilbish Design Amps and Pedals

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Hilbish Design Amps and Pedals

Postby ok.good.florian » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:19 pm

Hey ho,

a couple of days ago I’ve ordered a great sounding preamp (at least in a video) plus a three piece bundle of guitar/bass pedals from Hilbish Design. Shipping to Europe is quite expensive and it seems there is no dealer around where I live. So I thought why not order more than needed?
Anyway, for all those into darker, distorted sounds the guy also builds 200 W(!) solid state preamps on the basis of the sunn o))) beta preamp.

I am not a guitarist, so maybe I got some bits wrong but from my expertise the pedals look absolutely lovely and what can go wrong when you use a box called ‘Sol Invictus’?
There are also enough output options when no ear crushing amp/cabinet tower is around.

Not sure if Mr Hilbish is very bad with promoting his stuff or if the Sound On Sound editors just didn’t like his gear, but I couldn’t find his name on the website or in the forum, so I decided to risk a post with my finding.

Here’s the link if that’s allowed?: https://www.hilbishdesign.com/
ok.good.florian

Re: Hilbish Design Amps and Pedals

Postby resistorman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:08 pm

I read a lot of mags and websites and I’ve never heard of them, so I’d suspect the former.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:55 pm

Hi forumuser937444, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I've never heard of them either, although it's perhaps not surprising, since there must be hundreds of boutique hand-built amp/pedal creators around the world, and Sound On Sound, while it does cover a few guitar-based products, is mainly concerned with more mainstream recording gear.

However, the first thing that occurred to me when I visited Hilbish Design was their vague look of 'Orange' amps, which was subsequently confirmed when I saw they were also selling vintage Matamp/Orange knobs.

Interesting!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ok.good.florian » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:39 am

Hi Martin,

I've requested to change my user name to something less numeric. 'forumuser937444' is not very personal …

I’ve stumbled over Hilbish Design while listening to King Buzzo (Melvins) and searching online for Melvins and King Buzzo designs (record covers). That led me somehow to the Sol Invictus which looks very good in my opinion and is quite versatile, I think as a non pedal expert.

It is a shame that shipping from the US is always so super expensive. No matter how big the pieces are. At least if they are bigger than knobs.

Florian
ok.good.florian