You are here

Best momentary effects

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Best momentary effects

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:39 pm

The other day I came across the Greer Super Hornet Octave Fuzz which apparently has a momentary button for octave. I like the sound of that...I don't really like clunking heavy footswitches off and on, but the idea of just being able to touch something in for odd moments is quite appealing. I was wondering if anyone had tried it, or discovered any other momentary effects they like.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Re: Best momentary effects

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:43 pm

EH Freeze pedal. tried one in a shop but decided it (or more likely my imagination) was too limited. Now if they'd add one to the Headrush that'd be another matter. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:45 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:EH Freeze pedal. tried one in a shop but decided it (or more likely my imagination) was too limited. Now if they'd add one to the Headrush that'd be another matter. :thumbup:

Ah yeah, good call. I've had my eye on a Gamechanger Plus for a while.

(Some day I dream of picking up some cool-looking guitar with a couple of extra controls like a Les Paul Recording, or a Gretsch Super Axe, and wiring them up to do something unexpected.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:26 pm

I surely suffer of lack of imagination as well, but I find that pedals which have a very distinctive sound are hard to use effectively in a track.. the nature of the sound is so distinctive and recognizable that it takes center piece in anything you may make.

For example I have a POG and love it to bits, jam with it every rehearsal and I find it incredibly inspiring for guitar playing.... but haven't yet managed to incorporate it in an actual song, simply because anything that passes thru it sounds, well, like a POG.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:23 am

When I'm setting up a Helix patch I like to have a flanger (or resonant phaser), soft phaser and throw delay on momentary buttons. Dipping these in and out at the odd moment is quite inspiring.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby al_diablo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:26 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:EH Freeze pedal. tried one in a shop but decided it (or more likely my imagination) was too limited. Now if they'd add one to the Headrush that'd be another matter. :thumbup:

I saw one of these used to great effect by the guitarist from Black Peaks, adds something really cool to the transitions between sections of songs if used sparingly.

Momentary phase and chorus sound good too and can be nice and subtle. I guess the Whammy is a classic, but it's instantly recognisable so that may be a negative.
al_diablo
Regular