You are here

Left handed guitar style

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Left handed guitar style

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:16 pm

I suspect the dexterity (and whatever the LH equivalent) is more or less equal between both hands whereas with guitar or violin etc the hands do different jobs. I can't say why playing the 'RH' way around has become normal but I suppose the inventors of the various string instruments must have held them in the way that felt 'right'. Ee know that about 90% of the population are right handed so it's reasonable to assume that most of those guys were too.

There are pics of Chinese, Indian and Egyptian plucked string instruments which show them being played 'right handed' so the convention predates the guitar by a few thousand years.

https://egyptfwd.org/Article/6/1034/Study-The-ancient-Egyptians-mastered-the-art-of-playing-musical
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Stratman57 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:38 pm

I'm not sure that harp like instruments in those pictures are being played left or right handed. If I were to play a harp, I would have it resting on my right shoulder. :)

As an aside, has anyone noticed that all the stringed instrument players in the Muppet Show band are left handed? I suppose that makes me a Muppet then. :D

Regarding the left handed piano, if you close your eyes, it still sounds like someone playing a piano. Admittedly I listened to it on my phone, so couldn't tell if they'd recorded it in stereo with the bass notes coming out of the right hand speaker rather than the left. (As if one were sitting at the instrument).

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:44 pm

Stratman57 wrote:I'm not sure that harp like instruments in those pictures are being played left or right handed. If I were to play a harp, I would have it resting on my right shoulder. :)

I'm guessing the Harps are similar to piano in the the physical demands on each hand is more or less the same, it was more the vaguely banjo like instrument in the left image I was thinking about. All similar ancient instruments I have seen had been held the same way round.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:56 pm

Stratman57 wrote:As an aside, has anyone noticed that all the stringed instrument players in the Muppet Show band are left handed? I suppose that makes me a Muppet then. :D

Most muppets, apart from the really large ones, had a single puppeteer. The right hand worked the face and mouth, and that meant the the left hand was used to operate a hand.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby adrian_k » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:51 pm

It is *amazing* what you can learn on this forum :P 8-)

Just to add I’m a left hander for writing, right hander for tennis type things, right hander for knife and fork but left for spoon, I play guitar right handed. I used to be able to play left handed ‘upside down’ but I’ve lost the knack.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Stratman57 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:49 am

Is that left handed for playing the spoons? :)

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby adrian_k » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Stratman57 wrote:Is that left handed for playing the spoons? :)

Regards, Simon.

After a quick test I can confirm that I can play the spoons equally well with either hand, i.e. badly...
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby BJG145 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:13 pm

adrian_k wrote:After a quick test I can confirm that I can play the spoons equally well with either hand, i.e. badly.

This is how you do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_xCvYGtxY
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Previous