You are here

The greatest guitarist ever, bar none

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: The greatest guitarist ever, bar none

Postby DGL. » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:42 am

And, of course, Mark Knopfler and John Norum (Europe)
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Alba » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am

There was an Irish carpenter who came down to our flat in the Elephant years ago for a jam after the pub. Christ! He was amazing! But you'll never hear about him as he just did it for a laugh.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Alba » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:14 am

I just remembered his name, Pete, and he introduced me to Woods rum for which i will be eternally grateful.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Argiletonne » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:30 am

You ever heard Tommy Emmanuel play a Maton. He's like Disney on ice with two hands all alone on the stage. I'd take him over whoever that other guy is any day. And then I'd start listing dozens of other masters of guitar Including a prissy russian girl that plays classical that literally make most metal guitarists look challenged,.
Anyone hear steve vai's latest transcription; What key is that in and what notes is his literally playing. I like that he has the gall to go for his own ear though, very unorthodox in the world we live in today.
I'd sure John Mayer is better and in his own words, he makes hits for other people as much as himself. If you let him write you a song, it's going to be the biggest hit on your record, per his words not mine.
Argiletonne
Regular

Clayton Brown

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:39 pm

John Egan wrote:
BJG145 wrote:Guthrie does seem to be universally respected. Another guitarist who all others heap praise on ("unattainable perfection" according to Brian May in the interview) is Jeff Beck...clearly someone I need to listen to more of.

Back in the day, we did a gig with the Yardbirds when Jeff Beck was with them. I had never seen anyone with such ability before or since. He was unbelievably good.
It made the gig very difficult to play with any confidence.
Regards, John

Imagine playing a cover at a pub gig , and in walk 60% of the band you're in the middle of murdering the material of....

been there done that...... have not voluntarily played in a covers band since .
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Mostly Retired from Audio.... If I already know you I'll help,  if not....    Ask Hugh Robjohns, unless that is you're in need of 80's shred guitar... that, I'm still interested in having fun with...

Postby zenguitar » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:24 am

In the early 80's my late brother was the bass player in Broadsword. They played a mix of originals and covers around Devon & Cornwall and tracks from their demo tape were played on the Friday Rock Show on Radio One.

One night they were playing a pub in Roach, Cornwall, and started playing Silver Machine. And they couldn't work out why the entire audience burst out laughing but clearly enjoyed it. They also noticed the door between the lounge and bar opened during the song.

As they were packing up the door to the lounge opened again and a bunch of guys walked out. One of the bunch complimented them on their cover of Silver Machine and left. Another asked if they knew who he was. They replied 'no' and it was explained that it was Martin Griffin, a drummer with Hawkwind/Hawklords.

Next time they played that pub they were ready. Launched into Silver Machine and had broad grins ready when the lounge bar door opened. After the gig finished they were invited to Martin's studio for drinks and a smoke. When asked for music requests the lead guitarist asked for Hawkwind, and Martin pulled out a bunch of original multi-track tapes to listen to.

And that's how they ended up recording their demo with Martin Griffin, getting on the Friday Rock Show, and very close to a deal with EMI.

So it's not always a bad thing when you accidentally play a cover in front of a band member.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:36 am

Karen Tweed and some of my favourite guitarists.

Ian Carr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55tbuVYR6Pk

Tim Edey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnOR1nk-q54
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby ore_terra » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:45 am

Never been into flamenco myself, but I must admit that when you see one of the good ones playing in front of you and realize the skills you need in both hands to play that, all you can think is “jimmy who? Jeff who? Who’s that guy said to be god?” :lol:

Also, going with the topic I dont see versatility as synonim of a better player.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:34 am

Total Guitar hasn't been the same since it merged with Badger Lover Monthly! :D
I prefer the sound of voles mating to Brian’s playing but each to their own.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:02 am

Agharta wrote:I prefer the sound of voles mating to Brian’s playing

...yes, he's certainly played his part in their population growth.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:04 am

BJG145 wrote:...yes, he's certainly played his part in their population growth.

I don't know anything about his mating habits. Did you read that in Hello magazine? :shock:
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Previous