You are here

Gretsch (again)

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Gretsch (again)

Postby SecretSam » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am

Do you have a plaid shirt? Not judging, just asking...
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby John Egan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:22 am

ore_terra wrote:
Kwackman wrote:Apparently they (fat hollow bodied Gretsches) featured in a TV Show called "Nashville" which helped sales. I think it was a soap opera based around country music?
Yes that was the genre.

They featured most major brands, really. And about gretsches, there were more duo jets than hollows.

After his Duo Jet, George Harrison used a Tennessean and a Country Gent. Duane Eddy and Eddie Cochran used 6120s. Bo Diddley used a Jet before his signature model. Ther was a guy in a band called the Cresters, Mike Harding, who had a White Falcon. I believe his dad had a music shop. It was the only Falcon I'd ever seen at the time. Tennesseans were pretty popular in the UK.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:13 pm

John Egan wrote:
ore_terra wrote:
Kwackman wrote:Apparently they (fat hollow bodied Gretsches) featured in a TV Show called "Nashville" which helped sales. I think it was a soap opera based around country music?
Yes that was the genre.

They featured most major brands, really. And about gretsches, there were more duo jets than hollows.

After his Duo Jet, George Harrison used a Tennessean and a Country Gent. Duane Eddy and Eddie Cochran used 6120s. Bo Diddley used a Jet before his signature model. Ther was a guy in a band called the Cresters, Mike Harding, who had a White Falcon. I believe his dad had a music shop. It was the only Falcon I'd ever seen at the time. Tennesseans were pretty popular in the UK.
Regards, John
when I said "there were" I meant in that TV show ;)

of course in the real world hollow Gretsches rule over duo jets

by the way :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:30 pm

All Gretsches are basically hollow, even the ones that look solid. Very chambered bodies with a solid or arched top stuck on. The arched tops barely touch the internal supports.

Generally, the 'solid' bodied Gretsches are more hollow than a 335.

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Alanqa » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:58 am

Ooh ooh me sir !! I know this one.

I write and play my own music. It is mostly blues based proggish rock. Pink Floyd influenced but also Radiohead Talk Talk and other stuff. I play mostly my 4 Gretsches. A White Falcon centre block double cutaway which has TV Jones Brian Setzer pickups. Also an electromatic Pro Jet with stock blacktop pickups. A Baritone Jet and a Rancher acoustic.

Do I play Rockabilly? Do I 'eck. I have no interest in the ancient musics of the bequiffed. My sound is rock and blues.

Unfortunately Gretsch are so tainted with the Rockabilly/Chet Atkins vibe that modern players can't see past that.

Filtertrons are tonally rich: Warm like humbuckers, bright like single coils with more personality than mere P90s but definitely in the same ballpark. Trust me, any Gretsch will make a great blues machine. I'd look towards the semi hollow or chambered model if you don't want to be fighting feedback all night.
Alanqa

Previous