You are here

Clear coat: acrylic laqcuer versus epoxy resin (e.g Envirotex). experiences?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Clear coat: acrylic laqcuer versus epoxy resin (e.g Envirotex). experiences?

Postby Toneru » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:31 am

Hey guys.
i was searching on the web for some tutorials about using epoxy resins for the clear coat but couldnt find anything really clear..well, the coats where clear :P

i've seen that some of you use the resin with great results.

Does someone have any tip or know any tutorial about using the epoxy resins?
im getting annoyed of several clear coats using acrylic spray.

i have open questions when using the epoxy resin such as : it can form little air bubbles during the mixing, how to avoid them? I've seen a guy using fire or a heat gun on the surface (i would like to avoid this procedure)
well, if you have any suggestion, tips, tutorials, pictures of your builds, would be great..

Thanks in advance

Gledison
Toneru

Re: Clear coat: acrylic laqcuer versus epoxy resin (e.g Envirotex). experiences?

Postby zenguitar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:29 pm

I've moved this from the Lounge to the Guitar forum as that seems more appropriate.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Clear coat: acrylic laqcuer versus epoxy resin (e.g Envirotex). experiences?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:43 pm

Epoxy is much used for wooden boat finishing (and carbon fibre boats/parts) and always needs a laquer/varnish on top as it is not UV stable. It goes an unattractive milky yellow after a while if exposed too much UV. Polyester resin is more useful for guitar finishes (many Fenders have a sprayed on polyester finish), it is easier to use as a flow coat, is UV stable so doesn't need a top coat, is much easier to rub down and polish than epoxy and is much cheaper.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 pm

I would avoid epoxy as a guitar finish. In my experience, it adds no tonal benefit at great cost in time and workmanship to achieve similar results to other, easier to use, finishes.

Lacquer is made from the lac beetle, acrylic is basically water based polyurethane. Epoxy is "harder" but that's not really going to save your guitar from wear and tear. I prefer nitro-cellulose but that's not in favor these days due its high VOC.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.