You are here

Loop pedal gear advice

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Loop pedal gear advice

Postby TachiguiSoba » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Hey everyone!

Looking for a specific set-up and wish to know what my options are. I am currently looking at getting the RC-300

First it is important to know right now I do not care about the quality of the amp, as this will be more for practicing, as long as I can hear it then it will be fine. At most I will get a mixer pedal before amp output & I will be happy with this for practicing, no PA system & mixers.

I am looking at live-looping with 3 tracks. 1 Vocal, 1 Guitar, 1 Drumbeat (via the guitar), or 1 vocal, 2 guitars.

With the RC-300, is it possible at all to record only your microphone for a track while playing accompanying guitar provided it's going to a different input? Surprisingly I couldn't find specifics on this. As in if I had a basic drum track from Loop 1, and was playing live accompanying guitar so it sounds full, could I loop only the vocals onto a separate track?

Or is this only possible if I were to get 2 different Loop pedals, one for the microphone and one for the guitar? Unless I just stopped playing the accompanying guitar & Drumbeat and recorded only vocals?

Here is my current amp & pedal. Rc-3 and Vox Mini 3 G2.

It looks like my amp has guitar input and a mic input. If I get an XLR to 1/4 Inch, there must be away to have the vocals recorded separately.

Am I best to ditch the RC-3 and get the Rc-300, or should I keep the RC-3 Single track for vocals, and buy the RC-30 Twin pedal for the guitar/beat and connect them both to the amp under the separate inputs? Once again I realize adding many layers to an amp of this size, or any size rather, would fair much better with a pre-mixer pedal.

Budget for the pedals is not a factor,

Thank you guys!
TachiguiSoba

Re: Loop pedal gear advice

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:58 pm

I have RC-3, RC-30 and RC300 loopers but, unfortunately I'm away at the moment and only have access to the RC-3. AFAIK the RC-300 allows the instrument, aux and vocal inputs to be recorded simultaneously but only as a mix, not to separate tracks, I've had a quick scan of the manual and can't find anything to suggest otherwise but would need to get hands on to see if there's a workaround. That said I still think the RC-300 will be the best solution for you (but I'd keep the RC-3 as a gig bag looper).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby SecretSam » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:07 am

This would be easy in Ableton Live: it's what the software was originally written for.

On the other hand, there is something robust and reassuring about a stomp box.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby The Elf » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:46 am

The RC-505 would give you more tracks to work with, each of which can be overdubbed with whatever you like. It doesn't have multiple inputs (just instrument and mono mic), so it would be up to you to choose the track for each instrument, but you can overdub as much as you like to each track and jump freely from one to another.

It's not a stomp box, though, but you could add a separate MIDI pedalboard to handle that side of things. This is effectively how I do it - an RC-505 controlled by Helix/Morningstar MC8.

I'd prefer to feed the looper from a mixer aux of some kind, rather than having instruments running through a looper - if anything goes hideously wrong you can dip the looper, but keep your source instruments running.

The problem with using multiple loopers would be keeping them in sync.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hewesy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:34 pm

In some respects it depends how you want to loop those three sources.

Do you want to have the ability to stop/start each source separately or just have them as feeds to your loop?

The latter is pretty straightforward, a small mixer with an FX loop as Elf mentions. That way you can easily EQ and balance each source and feed a single looper. Your existing one would be fine. You could also bring it back on it's own channel for ease of balancing.

If the former then you need one of the bigger Boss units which offers A/B/C loops.

You could use Ableton with a suitable floor board, the new Blackstar Live board looks interesting for this. A quick glance suggests you could map each footswitch to a function so you can have loops and perhaps also channel mutes too. You would need a USB mixer but would be more powerful and allow backing or extra tracks too. If you performed with a wider band if they ran through the same mixer you could loop them too if you wanted to.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:55 pm

The Elf wrote:The problem with using multiple loopers would be keeping them in sync.

RC-300's can be synced to each other via midi but not to other loopers.

RC-300 tracks can be set to run in sync so you can stop start different elements, they don't all have to be the same length either but can be multiples/fractions. They can also run sequentially so you can have an intro, verse, middle 8 or some such and change arrangements on the fly and each track has it's own set of overdubs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........