You are here

not Marshalls

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

not Marshalls

Postby SecretSam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:56 am

So if you have come to the conclusion that Vox just isn't for you ... and you haven't quite pulled the trigger on an Origin 20 h:

Two medium-powered options that look quite interesting are:

Laney Lionheart L20

And the rather innovative DV Mark CMT Ciro Manna (which has a mini valve preamp and a d-class power amp)

Any experience or thoughts on the matter?

Yes, I know I should try them, but they take 2 or 3 months to get here by carrier pigeon, and the local stores don't have them.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Re: not Marshalls

Postby Dave B » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Max (Studio Support Gnome) is a big Laney fan and has had a few of those Lionhearts. He loves them. I also think that Wonks may have one and he's fairly choosy when it comes to tone.

(although the former is currently on holiday and the latter is probably still high on nitro fumes from all the - amazing - spraying he's done recently..)

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Where are you heading tone wise?

Between my fender '68 custom reverb and Mesa Boogie mini recto I can get most tones I need and can fake the rest with pedals. I had a Matchless Spitfire. Unbelievably great sounding amp but too damn loud :-)
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby CS70 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:45 pm

SecretSam wrote:So if you have come to the conclusion that Vox just isn't for you ... and you haven't quite pulled the trigger on an Origin 20 h:

Two medium-powered options that look quite interesting are:

Laney Lionheart L20

And the rather innovative DV Mark CMT Ciro Manna (which has a mini valve preamp and a d-class power amp)

Any experience or thoughts on the matter?

Yes, I know I should try them, but they take 2 or 3 months to get here by carrier pigeon, and the local stores don't have them.

You revise the conclusion that the VOX is not for you of course :D :D

Jokes apart, which sound are you after?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby SecretSam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:06 pm

Well, I'm more of a boozer a la Rory Gallagher than I am a loveable mop top from Liverpool. And I always regarded Queen as just a novelty act (admit it: so did everyone else until the movie came out).

Every guitarist I like plays Marshall (actually not sure what Alan Holdsworth played). Except Steve Howe.

But in real life, I am unlikely often to be able to crank a Marshall up to the point where it gets intense.

So ... the hunt for a mid-powered amp with lots of mids and the option of a decent clean sound for jazz sometimes.

I actually like the rock-voiced Vox MV50, so I am keeping that. The Night Train, though. It is fantastic at what it does (including a good Brian May impression if you goose its bright channel with the right overdrive). I'd keep it for fun, but I can't justify having three guitar amps (already got four bass amps). And just as a matter of preference, I would rather have something darker. Not death metal dark, but 70s dark.

The only nit to pick with the MV50 is that it doesn't sound, er, detailed, if you know what I mean. And it's a bit quiet for gigging unless you cane the gain beyond what I think sounds good.

Clear as mud?

The DV Mark was appealing because of its size and useful power, and because it has all the right, professional i/o. The Laney because half the forums I searched said 'try a Laney Lionheart' every time someone asked about smaller Marshalls.

First world problems, eh ?
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Have you tried any modeling amps?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Alba » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:30 pm

If i were in the market for a combo then i think the Blackstar Artist 30 would be high on the list, the reviews sound and look great. It seems to do it all.

But i'm not. I have two Park (not Marshall, but says it on the back) G10R solid state 1x8 combos and i love them to pieces.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:52 pm

As per my other post I adore my Laney VC30 which, on paper, is essentially their tribute to an AC30.

That said, the clean channel is much darker and more mid based (i.e. the usual Laney tone) but its the drive channel that's more Vox as it does the bright edgy thing more than a Marshall/Orange/Mesa "thick" drive tone.

However I've gone back to my Nobels ODR1 and actually that's hitting about the spot for me at the moment.

Though the Laney GH30 is really talking to me at the moment. Pete Honore demoed one recently and it sounds like it might be what I think I should be hearing.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:06 pm

If you want to crank a marshall (or any other amp) what you need is an attenuator!

These reactive load new ones are ace.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Oh yes, I've an old SE100 which is fantastic.

The new reactive loads are tempting though, the OX in particular looks like a good alternative.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm

I went with the Rivera Rockcrusher Recording for a reactive load box and I've never been disappointed with it. It gets constant use and has for about 8years. I'm in the poor old US of WTF? and we have different gear. The OX is very cool and I keep almost buying one but I can swap amps through the Rivera painlessly so...

I'm curious about why you don't get a Marshall if that's the tone you're after :crazy: Did I miss something?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby SecretSam » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:14 am

Thanks for all the advice, Gentlemen

Watchmaker wrote:I'm curious about why you don't get a Marshall if that's the tone you're after :crazy: Did I miss something?

I might. Three considerations to mull first:

1. The Origin 20h fits the budget easily, but the classic designs don't when new. And the classics almost never come up for sale secondhand down here. At least I can try an Origin out, so can form my own opinion about it

2. Technology moves on, and maybe newer entrants do the same trick better, plus some other tricks as well

3. For the price of a new Origin head, there are some interesting secondhand gadgets around locally, although all combos, which isn't what I had in mind a week ago ... Blackstar Series 1, Laney L20, Orange 120 (yes I know that won't be quiet!), Fender Hotrod ( no-one has a bad word to say about those, although I would need to have that shipped from a city about six hours drive away, so I wouldn't be able to try it out)

... and talking bollocks about gear is fun.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:24 pm

resistorman wrote:Have you tried any modeling amps?

I have had some older Line 6 Pods. They were OK - I know the technology has moved on since then.

Mostly I like simplicity with a guitar rig. I spend most of the week with my nose in a computer, so like to have an environment free of USB and menus.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:14 pm

Same here Sam, plus I just like valves and spring reverbs when it comes to it.

Nothing against modellers, I have a couple and for the tones I really don't use much (Mesa, JC120 etc) they work great. And for recording or practice, perfect.

But this would be my main tone, so I'm happy to add the real thing in this case.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:08 pm

Watchmaker wrote:I went with the Rivera Rockcrusher Recording for a reactive load box and I've never been disappointed with it. It gets constant use and has for about 8years. I'm in the poor old US of WTF? and we have different gear.

I took a look at that Rivera thingy. Ow! It costs as much as an amp ! Is there anything out there that does almost as good a job for a fraction of the money?

Thanks for 'US of WTF'. I am going to use that, whatever amp I buy :-)
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Next