You are here

THAT prog bass sound....

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

THAT prog bass sound....

Postby Chaconne » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:36 pm

I guess Chris Squire is the most popular exemplar, but John Wetton has a similar sound, occasionally Mike Rutherford, the guy from Renaissance...etc

Distorted, trebly, yet rounded with lots of deep notes as well. Spikey, yet paradoxically warm and weighty at the same time.

So how were they getting it? I use a 70's precision with a sansamp bass driver which I really love - but I cant quite get this tone. I can get a great John Paul Jones tone which is similar - deep but distorted - but I can't get that treble 'spike' sitting on a punchy bass sound.
Obviously the two pick up trebly Rickenbacker helps - but John Wetton's tone with Asia, using P-basses mainly, though not clanky like Chris Squire is still that classic sound.

Any ideas for a home studio set up?
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Re: THAT prog bass sound....

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:29 pm

I could be misremembering, but I seem to remember Trevor Horn saying that Chris Squire used some sort of octave pedal to add bottom end to his sound. Not sure if that was only in the ’80s or whether he always had done.
Sam Inglis

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:39 pm

This guy will get you most of the way there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5qdWuEQauM

I've used his Helix presets with non-Rick basses and it gets damned close.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 am

Chris Squire also said he liked the Ricky but could get exactly the same sound out of a Fender Jazz.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby arkieboy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:25 pm

The Elf wrote:This guy will get you most of the way there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5qdWuEQauM

Very damn close. Band Geeks is splendid both in output (they sound great) and execution (great ways of doing stuff). Richie in particular ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Chaconne » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 am

The Elf wrote:This guy will get you most of the way there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5qdWuEQauM

Thats interesting - especially considering he is getting the same type of sound from each bass. There is nothing that crazy in the set up - which is using a SVT model ? I'm guessing that's important. I'm not sure how the bass driver is voiced but it sounds quite different. I'll try some models on the computer - though I'm after a hardware set up.

Made me gas a bit for a Ricky though !
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Fishnish » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:27 am

Chaconne wrote:

Thats interesting - especially considering he is getting the same type of sound from each bass. There is nothing that crazy in the set up - which is using a SVT model ? I'm guessing that's important. I'm not sure how the bass driver is voiced but it sounds quite different. I'll try some models on the computer - though I'm after a hardware set up.

Made me gas a bit for a Ricky though !

I use those Helix presets quite a lot, They certainly get you most of the way there for the Squire tone. He also did a really good set of presets for guitar parts to Heart of the Sunrise, I think it was. Plug in an ES175 and they were nigh on perfect too.

I'd say the SVT thing is a bit of a red herring though, in hardware certainly. Chris only used SVTs in later years, earlier he used a variety of amps including Dual Showmans and Sunn Colosseums (as well as a custom power amp and 6x12 array in his stage setup buit for him by Clair Brothers) but always in conjunction with a specific Marshall head he used throughout his career. even pre-Yes.

His tech Richard Davis has also mentioned that Squire's Rick only had one functioning pickup for a considerable period of time. He didn't elaborate on how Squire's bi-amping was implemented though, only that the Marshall provided the mid/top and the other units the weight.

Personally I think a large part of the Squire sound came from his right hand. There's a lengthy thread over on RickResource which goes into a lot of detail... http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewt ... e&start=15
Fishnish
Regular